Carp Bolies

xrap

Can anyone share a simple recipe for carp bolies. I heard you can make some out of dough and kool aid but not sure of the steps. Don't have to post your secret recipes up just for some something simple and something I can make from ingredients laying around the house, thanks

Can't remember where I got this from. Dug it out of the archives from when I used to make them myself.

3 eggs

4.5oz of cornmeal

4oz of soya flour

4oz of semolina

3oz of buttermilk powder

1oz of liquid sweetener (your choice - can opt for sugar)

2-3 tsp of flavouring (your choice - scopex, tutti fruitti, peach, strawberry, whatever)

2tsp of olive oil

2tsp of salmon oil (optional)

2tsp of salt

- Mix dry ingredients together

- Mix wet ingredients together

- Add dry stuff to wet stuff

- Mix until it's a dough

TIP - if it sticks to you or the counter top, add oil to your hands or add flour to the paste. Too much flour will make rolling difficult though...You have to find the right balance

- Roll into balls (you pick the size)

- Boil for 30 seconds or more. More if you want them rock hard. Generally big fish only eat the rock hard ones.

- Air dry (I use screen door mesh stapled to a rectangular frame made of wood)

- Put in freezer when dry (I normally air dry for 12+ hrs)

Tip - You can add natural preservatives so that you don't have to freeze them. Follow manufacturer's directions for amount of preservative needed per pound of bait.

These make sinking boilies

To make them float you can cover cork balls with the dough and then boil them...Or you can nuke them in the microwave for a few seconds depending on the diameter...Best to nuke them for a few seconds each time or they'll explode...Trust me

I usually buy all my boillies now. It's fun to roll dough into balls for the first 5min...After that, I would rather just be fishing. If you have a sausage gun + rolling table, you can make a few hundred boillies in a matter of minutes - Can be quite expensive though. It is satisfying catching fish on your own baits. It's also impossible to find 2" boillies in most shops so making them is your only option...If you have the time, go for it.

Hope this helps

Where do you buy your boilies?

You can get DAM and Nash boillies from Angling Specialties. Fishing World I think also has DAM and Nash as well as a couple other brands (Royal Carp + others). You can also order them online.

Currently living off of the remaining 14lbs of boilies that I still have from last year...Freebies which a few of my UK buds brought over with them :D

It's too much hassle for me...

by the time you buy all the ingredients, mix it all up, form them into balls, boil them...

i don't think it's worth it...

Ahhh UB But it can be fun. :thumbsup_anim: ..........& you really do not need alot of ingrediants. ;)

I have had some store bought boilies in my bag for almost a year and never had enough confidence in them. But after catching the first carp on a boilie last Sat, I tried again yesterday with the ones I made last year (had to find something to do in the off season) and caught the first carp on my home made bolies.

I believe you don't need to use boilies to catch carp but they do have their advantage (biggest one to myself is that they stay on the hook much better and the presentation is better than corn/maize on a hair). BUT, catching a carp on the boilies you made youself gives you a totally different level os satisfaction....

However, I do agree, buying them is much less messy. And they aren't really expensive considering I caught 4 fish on Sat with the same boilie.

You'll NEVER get a hook through a boilie . . . . first of all, you'd require about a #2 hook, and a boilie drill, and even THAT would not likely leave enough barb to nail 'im! The next best thing . . . . roll up some bread into a ball . . . put that on a hook . . . . that's one of the things I used to use, and did well on it! The great advantage of boilies . . . . the little fish (gobies, rock bass, perch, sunfish etc.,) won't bother a boilie . . . once in a while you might pick up a bullhead, or even a channel cat, but 99% of the time, it'll be a carp!

I don't fish for carp with a hair rig, so what would be the best way to hook them. Thinking of just using steelhead hooks and hide the hook in the boilie.

i would highly recommend you to use a hair rig... they aren't that hard to tie ... the only times i have lost fish was because of poor knot/weak hook/dull hook (angler error)

if you do use it on a hook though, i would say hide most of the hook inside the bollie and leave a small section of the point open ... that way the carp would somewhat hook itself and give you a chance to get a better hookset before it spits everything back out ... i might be wrong :dunno: ...

i guess i am wrong after reading steve's response haha

Edited by Victor

My wife and I have recently opened a tackle shop in St.Thomas. I am not sure where you guys are located, but we sell some carp bait. We have the dam boilies, Nash bait boilies,and some Berkly power bait for carp. We also have the hair rigs here. I am not sure if I am breaking any rules here by mentioning it on here, but the store is called Tons O Tackle, 519-637-8487.

hmm good info, i had same question about this,

heres 1 i cant figure out, how do u stop the boilie from coming off, do u just use a stopper, or what else can u do?

I use various bait stops...They look like mini dumbells.

Alternatively you can use a small piece of twig to put in the loop below your bait on the hair.