Bait for Simcoe Pike

huzzsaba

So I have booked a hut on cooks bay for the first week of February. Will be fishing for perch mainly but want to be prepared for the odd pike that will swim by. I have some frozen 3 inch emerald shiners from my last trip out and was thinking of jigging those. I have read that many people catch them with sardines, or other smaller fish that can be bought at the grocery store.

whats is my best option if I were to grab some bait from the grocery store and what size bait?

Any other tips? We are not using tip ups and I will have one rod dedicated for the pike so would like to have the best chance.

Thanks

Edited by huzzsaba

I like to free line for pike.

I will explain

I use a spool of 50 lb black braid nylon. 200 yard spool min, I attach a 3ft leader of 20lb floroclear PLINE. I as well use a treble like Dave, I will stick one hook near the tail. My preference. As for the term freeline, I use a branch from a tree which I stick into a pile of shaved ice from the hole I drilled. I will tend the line to the branch. I will also put a flag/indicator, (field tape) so to tell if there is a hit. If the flag is gone,well you best be getting to the hole. The free line allows the pike to take the bait naturaly. The pike feels no resistance. I know some may think this will not allow for live release, but when fishing this way, I am not looking to live release.

Im have used this method for as long as I can remember.

I also dont target them til after laker and whitefish close.

I like 3-4 inch shinners. Natural bait to Simcoe. We cannot use smelts or herring from the lake.

Edited by Brian B

I just use a tip up with a big ol sucker under it....what's that line from tv..."set it, and forget it". (just don't forget it too much, make sure its easily visible from your hut window)

Roger

I just set the lines, sit back in the lazy chair and wait. :D

I like using a big sucker, ive used as big as 10-12" but i also prefer to go for big fish which means less hits. Suckers that size i usually have to catch myself in the spring and use as deadbait in winter.

if you are only using one rod for pike id probably jig a good size spoon instead but since you can use 2 per person id try to have one going with a spoon and one with the biggest minnow in your pail. If you are fishing perch with a group of people you will usually see a pike or 2 come in through the day ( you might not see them but they are likely around) its usually pretty obvious a predator is around as the perch tend to get a little skittish, however sometimes a pike will fly in out of nowhere and those are the ones you will get on the spoon.

Good luck, ill be doing the same thing!

Edited by Gallie

I just use a tip up with a big ol sucker under it....what's that line from tv..."set it, and forget it". (just don't forget it too much, make sure its easily visible from your hut window)

Yeah, don't forget it too much though.

Had my free spool a little tight on my dead stick last year and didn't get to the hole in time.

Watched my custom 42" stick and 1980's ABU 5500 fly through the air and down the hole before I made it to the rod. :(

My fav set up is to bring out a branch flexible about 5 ft long something that will move in the wind. Black or orange electrical tape and a quick strike rig. place the stick in a slush mound so the line is centered in the hole. drop a whole sardine (that you buy by the bag). so it is just under the ice, tape the line to the end of the branch. let the wind move it around some. Leave your bail open and your pole a good distance from the hole.

try different depths as the day goes on or if you see them go by.

Good luck.