Scugog Walleye closure. OOD email

captpierre

I do agree with not supporting the MNRF.

People have been fishing there for 50 years, and now there are not enough fish?

They have been seeing decline for years, studied it and identified the problems, and all they do is nothing

Thats some good government there

It was actually posted November 27th

they MNR is going to have a field day with tickets, if you aint fishing with crappie gear they will probably fine you

my friend is on the advisory council FMZ 17 and they actually wanted to just close the ice fishing season (because the MNR has a track record of when they close a fishery it is a minimum 10 to 15 years before it re-opens) but its a full closure now

here is a link to the decision

http://www.ebr.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB-External/displaynoticecontent.do?noticeId=MTI0Nzk1&statusId=MTg3OTI4&language=en

This year I've caught a dozen walleye on the Scugog, which has been more than I've ever caught in a season on that lake. Of the dozen, only one single fish was in the slot(18") and the rest were all over the slot. Definitely says something about the population that is there. Unfortunately, Scugog is one of those lakes where the problem is actually the crappie. The crappies' prespawn staging areas are right by where the walleye spawn. Stopping harvest on our end and managing good water levels during the spawn is the least we can do to try and help. Closing it for two decades wouldn't upset me in the least bit when there are great walleye lakes within an hour drive from there!

I also caught wind that the lake has stunted crappie - not sure what can be done about that. I do hope that Wil Wegman or the MNR can write something about this for the public.