Deer Processing

dave524

We have a saying at the shop (yes a butcher shop) no fat, no flavour.

when we used to process deer at the store, and needed to make sausage, because the animal is so lean to begin with, we have to add 40% pork to the mix.

also a tip, make sure you have a good sharp knife., and a steel when processing your own deer, deer meat is very hard on the knifes edge, and it will dull quickly

We have a saying at the shop (yes a butcher shop) no fat, no flavour.

when we used to process deer at the store, and needed to make sausage, because the animal is so lean to begin with, we have to add 40% pork to the mix.

also a tip, make sure you have a good sharp knife., and a steel when processing your own deer, deer meat is very hard on the knifes edge, and it will dull quickly

I agree, but deer fat is like mutton , tallowy, tongue stick to the roof of your mouth stuff, I add beef suet to venison ground meat and pork shoulder to sausage, leaving the deer fat for suet feeders for the birds.

I agree, trim as much fat and silver skin as possible whenever it comes to venison.

I stopped using any other meat to enhance the dryness of venison years ago. Instead any ground meat is now used in chili, meatballs or tacos where it will not be dry.

All steak cuts are always boneless as is all venison cuts of meat....for a great venison steak that you cannot tell if it's venison or the best sirloin do the following:

Take meat out of the fridge at least 1 hour before cooking to get it room temp

Dry off any blood or moisture

Light coat steak with Kosher Salt

Med heavy coat steak with garlic POWER

Med heavy coat steak with ground pepper

(Coating means both sides of the meat)

Cook in a frying pan with BUTTER and a couple drops of olive oil for 2 - 2.5 minutes on both sides depending on thickness. NEVER a second more....

The meat should be med rare at this point......if you want a well done piece of meat go to McDonalds

I have heard, seen and tasted venison that was marinated and or cooked on the grill that was rough, tough and tasted like I don't know what. Venison is too lean to BBQ.

For roasts wrap with pieces of bacon and cook to a internal temp (using a electronic probe) of 130 degrees and not a degree more. Discard the bacon and eat the venison. We usually let it cool overnight in the frig and then the wife takes it to work and slices it paper thin....we purchase beef broth in a can and heat that up and dip the slices in the hot broth and then place it on a hard roll. Best roast beef sandwich my sister (who wouldn't eat venison) ever, she said....LOL.....she's also had it in our chili too..... :)

After dragging for an hour and a half, the butcher can do the rest.LOL

Butchers will never take the time to clean a deer up like you can at home. Time is money to them. Not that most don't do a good job but they won't be meticulous trimming like doing it at home.

Cheers

Butchers will never take the time to clean a deer up like you can at home. Time is money to them. Not that most don't do a good job but they won't be meticulous trimming like doing it at home.

Cheers

Where my deer went, I had no worries about getting back all I should. Lets say that the $140 I gave him, was well spent. Then again, If I had the place to do, I wouldnt need to spend.

Cheers

if they want a return customer, they will do a good job, around here there really isn't anyone that does it, so for around $170 a deer, at say a max 2 hours, that $85 an hour, that pretty damn good money thats all under the table for a butcher that does it on the side.

its something im giving serious consideration doing next year, I've been keeping track of the phone calls we get at the store, this week alone we've had 6 calls and 5 people walk in asking where to get it done. I just need the equipment at home to be able to do it, ie: a 2hp grinder, chest freezer, work table, knives, hand saw.

Edited by FloatnFly