too warm out..and ready for old man winter..pics..NF

Rodwrap

dang stink (lady) bugs...too dang nice out for November..suks!! LET-R-SNOW !! I have TONS of wood for the stove and smokers :D

lots of cherry, ash, oak, beech, hard & red maple,,,

pile 1:

pile%201_zpsqks2q2ye.jpg

pile 2;

pile%202_zps5d5fitxn.jpg

pile 3:

pile%203_zpssoth4wfj.jpg

pile 4:

pile%204_zpsjchsqvsq.jpg

I've been pulling trees out with my ol' Tahoe: beech tree:

pulled%20out%20beech_zpsvrh07vly.jpg

80 ft cherry:pulling%20cherry_zpsktftgqhd.jpg

course, the dog has to get in on it..

sass%20w%20cherry_zpstqluua8z.jpg

cherry loaded:trailer%20load%20cherry_zpsayfop9ve.jpg

there's tons more to get out..150 acres worth:

woods%201_zpsuzrc1urs.jpg

so...we are working on ..."The Beast"..front winch & rear grapple..should be a fun winter playing in the snow!!

beast%201_zpsg361tcmf.jpg

beast%20rear%20view_zpsvosxtqfp.jpg

Nice black cherry! I'm at the northern range of it, so it tends to grow into gnarly logs and barely over 14" diam.

Love your property. Looks like it's mainly hardwood (probably loaded with deer?), although I think I spotted a hemlock by your wood piles.

Is the beast road-legal? Road trip to north bay :whistling:

we are the Black Cherry capitol of PA...i was a logging contractor in the 80's -90's & Cherry veneer went for up to $8/ board foot. We'll not likely ever see that price again. (China found a way to stain red maple to look like cherry), Cherry now is maybe $2/bd.ft.

There are 2 large bucks on this 150 acre plot, one a nice 10pt, but, when I see him, the loud-mouth (named Sassy) barks before I can snap a pic. Since being logged, there are a TON of grouse here tho...

grouse_zpst11u9usx.jpg

Nice !!! If you haven't spent most of your life cutting your own wood, most wouldn't understand the difference between firewood and sawlog / veneer ! In many cases my Red Oak's grow in triples and one has to come down for firewood to allow the other two to become valuable veneer trees. Working on that the past 4 days.

My last commercial harvest was 12 years ago, when I let a guy come in for 2 days and when he left I had a cheque for $28,000 in my hand for less than 70 trees. Red oak was $7.50/board foot and my Maples were $8.50. Based on lumber prices I can only imagine what current board foot prices are and I am trying to clean up some neglected bush that I haven't had time for the past 6 years to cash in on that. Most of my Red Oaks are at least 90 feet to the first limb!

My last commercial harvest was 12 years ago, when I let a guy come in for 2 days and when he left I had a cheque for $28,000 in my hand for less than 70 trees. Red oak was $7.50/board foot and my Maples were $8.50. Based on lumber prices I can only imagine what current board foot prices are and I am trying to clean up some neglected bush that I haven't had time for the past 6 years to cash in on that. Most of my Red Oaks are at least 90 feet to the first limb!

Your sitting on a gold mine!

S.

Nope, just my own property. My 40 acres and what is now the son's next doors 80. About 55 out of the 120 acres is all hardwood to selectively harvest.

Do you know what current board foot prices are on sawlog and veneer, for defect free Red Oak and Maple?

Nope, just my own property. My 40 acres and what is now the son's next doors 80. About 55 out of the 120 acres is all hardwood to selectively harvest.

Do you know what current board foot prices are on sawlog and veneer, for defect free Red Oak and Maple?

I dont off the top of my head, but I work in an 11,000 acre managed forest, so I have contacts in the know.....pm me if you need a reputable forester or a good company to harvest.

S.

Cleaning up all my oak dead falls ( they love to limb themselves) and unfortunately one of my triples shed it's only veneer trunk, leaving two x 24" + trunks that are good for firewood only. Oh well, I'll let them grow while I clean up the important stuff first before it starts to go bad. Love hand splitting oak.. great work out.

Edited by irishfield

My land is weird how it's grown out, behind my house and down to the road allowance is 80% oak, all 20 acres of it. Probably 400 trees minimum are sawlog / veneer grade. Mixed in is a fair amount of hard maple, some sugar maple, some big beech trees a few large birch and a few big ash trees. The NW corner of the property has about 5 acres of 90 foot x 30" + diameter bottom Poplars. Son's is a pretty even mix of all trees and his has a fair batch of cherry and iron wood trees.

Everyone of the saplings in this shot of the Birch is either an oak or a hard maple.

Edited by irishfield

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After Leah and I stacked what I had cut and hand split (~ 7 bush cords total), I spent the past week cleaning up a section of bush behind my son's new house on the land next door. In an area approximately 400' x 400' he has at least 60 Cherry trees from 6" diameter, right up to 24" diameter. EVERY one of them is standing dead, while the rest of the bushes Maple, Oaks and Ash are all just fine. Anyone know why this one species would have died off???? At least his house is going to smell nice, as other than a few Maples that I dropped and split to mix in he has about 3.5 bush cords of Cherry... too bad we don't have a smoker!

After Leah and I stacked what I had cut and hand split (~ 7 bush cords total), I spent the past week cleaning up a section of bush behind my son's new house on the land next door. In an area approximately 400' x 400' he has at least 60 Cherry trees from 6" diameter, right up to 24" diameter. EVERY one of them is standing dead, while the rest of the bushes Maple, Oaks and Ash are all just fine. Anyone know why this one species would have died off???? At least his house is going to smell nice, as other than a few Maples that I dropped and split to mix in he has about 3.5 bush cords of Cherry... too bad we don't have a smoker!

Why not? You got everything else around. LOL