Lake Turnover

AKRISONER

Hey Guys,

planning doing some serious fishing this weekend, but not sure of tactics till I know what the heck is going on out on the water yet.

Anyone have an insight into the turnover situation on the lakes around here? Im seeing some pretty darn cold weather for the upcoming weekend, but am still not sure if I should be looking for my fish shallower or deeper yet.

60 degree surface water on north Pigeon.

Like usual the panfish are gone at the dock.

I've heard on this site that the Kawarthas don't turn over because they are too shallow.

Find where the baitfish go and their preditors will be there.

Let me know.

I'm still looking. ?

60 degree surface water on north Pigeon.

Like usual the panfish are gone at the dock.

I've heard on this site that the Kawarthas don't turn over because they are too shallow.

Find where the baitfish go and their preditors will be there.

Let me know.

I'm still looking.

Rice Lake definitely turns over. I've fished that pea soup many times! Although, I don't think it takes too long. Probably should start happening in the next few weeks, if not already. I believe once the surface temperature is 4C/40F it's done turning over.

Been fishing the parry sound area. Started last Sun-tues. and again fri-sun. Water temps started out 58-60. This past Sunday was 57. The smallies have been hard to find. The ones I have caught were deeper, not fat and not schooled up. Saturday I caught 3 back to back in 23-25 ft suggesting they are starting to feed and school. Sunday didn't catch one. The walleye were hitting in the upper 59/60 temp which I expected and have since slowed. The largies started to school up and I caught the most and biggest Sunday at 57 deg. So the short answer is I don't think my lake has turned over yet. But every lake is different.

Nothing has turned over yet. We need low 40 degree water temps for that to happen. That said, it can happen in a day with cold temps and a big wind.

S.

forecast for this weekend is not looking so promising. That might be the big event. gusty winds, highs in the low 40's and overnight lows into the 20's

im thinking deep weeds might be the saving grace!

Should be

The weather here says we might see our first frost of the fall Saturday night, also a chance of freezing rain or ice pellets, Saturday's high is 44, and breezy, not much doubt it will be worse a few hundred miles north?

Deep weed beds might be a plan, slow rolling a heavier spinnerbait thru them could produce just about anything, same with a jig and pig or jig and plastic.

The weather here says we might see our first frost of the fall Saturday night, also a chance of freezing rain or ice pellets, Saturday's high is 44, and breezy, not much doubt it will be worse a few hundred miles north?

Deep weed beds might be a plan, slow rolling a heavier spinnerbait thru them could produce just about anything, same with a jig and pig or jig and plastic.

Eyes in the morning and at night...deadsticked suckers in a river...simple

Once the morning is over, if the sun comes out...(if it doesnt we will probably just sit on the eyes all day)

Plan of attack thus far is to start the day on a completely left field pattern that worked a few weeks back, just to try it out because it worked very very well then. (big big big smallies eating gobies shallow on sand and rocks)

Then move to traditional patterns of schooling smallies on bait suspended...so finding bait will be the challenge.

From there if neither of those work, we switch to deep weeds and tossing slow retrieved blades over deep green grass to see if we can stir up any big female gators.

calling for low twenties to start out the day saturday...gonna have to forget the rain suit and go full on ice fishing gear!

Edited by AKRISONER

how can you not fish during the second best time of the year!

aside from the beginning of June, late october early november is the second best time to be fishing!

How can you not hunt? Its falll.....hunt 3 months, fish the rest. Simple. Lol

S.

It has been a long time for me since I was there, but my p/b walleye and one of my buddies p/b walleyes didn't come from the river there, and both were mid day fish. Mine came slow rolling a spinnerbait down a point and my buddies came drifting a big chub on the edge of a deeper weedbed, both in late September.

It has been a long time for me since I was there, but my p/b walleye and one of my buddies p/b walleyes didn't come from the river there, and both were mid day fish. Mine came slow rolling a spinnerbait down a point and my buddies came drifting a big chub on the edge of a deeper weedbed, both in late September.

my personal PB came on October 26th last year on the deadsticked sucker with a black jig!

Ohio youd remember the reef in the river, just off of that.