P1, P2, P3 ? NWT Style (discriminatory?)

mr blizzard

After months of physio etc I am ready to go back to work, phoned only to find out I will be on call again, hoping to have got term work at least, ie 3 months of steady work or 6 months, this is usually renewed again just before the term expires

THIS IS NOT A THREAD TO BRING NEGATIVITY TO ANYONE JUST TO SHOW HOW THE SYSTEM WORKS UP HERE

Being on call u may or may not get a call for a morning, afternoon or midnight shift, for the week u may get one or two shifts or non at all, pretty hard to budget

There is a p1 status which is at the top relating to aboriginals

There is a p2 status which states u have to have lived up here more than half your life

Then there is a p3 which is who ever does not fit into the first two

This applies to govt work up here

Two of my sons acquaintances have recently been hired and trained for a similar position with no previous experience but because they are a p1 and the other a p2 they will be given term positions, while I have a combined 15 years experience, mostly from Ontario and some up here still have to sit at home waiting for a phone call to fill a shift or two

Under the Affirmitive action plan it states"applicants interested in employment with the GNWT should identify their eligibility in the designated groups at the time of application in order to receive priority consideration under the AAP" On the cover letter they give how to type it up "I am an indigenous aboriginal and wish to be given priority consideration under the AAP

I CAN APPRECIATE THIS AS THE ABORIGINALS HAVE HAD MANY LONG TERM AGREEMENTS WITH THE GOVT

BUT I TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH THE p2 status , just because u have not lived here for more than half your life, when u live here as a permanent resident, ie owning a house here and living here 12 months of the year which we do I don't see why someone with no experience can bump u out, what I mean by that is just because they are a p2 they can by the govt rules over ride u take the term position while u are left at home with years of related experience sitting by the phone waiting for someone to phone in sick, I wont get into job specifics but it covers virtually all job types within the govt sector

I do not think people who have come from other countries and who have moved to Canada would wait half their life to be eligible for govt jobs in other provinces, I thought Canada was coast to coast to coast, just seems a little unfair, everyone should have an equal right to work anywhere in this great country,

cheers

My wife worked for the Ontario Government for 20 years down at Queens Park and they had their own in-house newspaper. I believe it was back in the Bob Rae days when there was an advertisement for employment with the add-on that "whites need not apply"

If Diane hadn't brought the paper home for me to see with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed.

Lousy that these things happen but I spose it's been going on for years and will probably continue.

Hope things work out for you up there mr. b

Do the Territories not have to abide b the same laws that the Provinces do? In Ontario I can't ask a person during an interview where they live. It's discriminatory because in they have no fixed address so it goes to poverty discrimination. (yes MOL is Provincial not Federal) Doesn't that come under the Federal Charter of Rights and Freedoms?

P1 and P2 is crazy to me. On P1 I am being discriminated because of my race and P2 I just don't understand the logic behind it at all. If there is no work for persons living there, move. A job should to the person most qualified to perform the task, not their race or address. I can't see it being legal in todays society, and this is which Gov. policy? .

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Old Ironmaker , I agree with u 100 percent, the municipality or city is a bit more lax but the Government of the Northwest Territories has the status thing carved in stone, how can they give preference to another in most cases a Canadian citizen, just because they have lived more than half their life here it should be the same right across the board, for every part of this country