Electrical question

lew

Hey guys, I've got 3 LED pot lights in the kitchen ceiling with a 3 way switch at either end of the room so I can turn them on & off from either side.

I'd like to install a 3 way dimmer switch at the end of the room we always use and wonder if that's possible. The switch at the other end just leads to another room and is never used.

I don't know which switch is 1st in line though and I'd imagine that makes a difference.

Sure you can. 3 way 'mechanical dimmer, ie LUTRON Skylark' at one location,and a 3 way switch at second. 3 conductors between them just like with the switch. OR...a 3 way 'electronic dimmer ie LUTRON MAESTRO' at one location and its ' Accessory Dimmer' at the other. Same wiring as above. With this setup, the lights can be turned on/off AND dimmed from both locations.

Because they are LED lights, you should make sure you get the 'C.L' version (specifically designed for LED and CFL dimmable bulbs) for the best dimming performance.

Home Depot will have all these devices in stock...

Thanks Kenny

Just so I'm clear, I can leave the 3 way switch we never use as is and just install the mechanical 3 way dimmer where I want it and everything should work fine.

I'll be able to turn the lights off and on with the dimmer switch plus dim them down.

Can go at either end Lew, just pull the switch out you want to be a dimmer and replace it wire for wire onto the new dimmer. I have had them throughout the house for 20 years, but as Kenny advised make sure you get the latest greatest for those LED's.

Have Diane stand there with a broom stick or turn off the power, either method works!

Thanks Wayne, changing the switches is no problem I just didn't know if it would work with both a dimmer and a standard switch. Gives me a job to do tomorrow.

As for Diane, she keeps the broom stick handy even when I'm not doing electrical. :lol:

Lew - Sofabed is right - make sure that the bulb you pick is dimmable, because some types are not dimmable.

I checked my bulbs yesterday and there's nothing written on them to indicate if their dimmable or not so how would I know ??

I'm actually going into town this morning to buy the switch you recommended so maybe I'll just buy 3 proper bulbs to be sure.

Edited by lew

Thanks boys, the jobs all done and everythings working perfectly.

I contacted the manufacturer this morning to verify my bulbs were indeed dimmable and they checked and said yup, your good to go. Went into town and bought the dimmer and it took 5 minutes to change everything.

As mentioned above, I've changed many switches over the years but never swapped a switch for a dimmer when there was a 2nd switch involved and wanted to be 100% sure it would work.

Looks like a good deal on dimmable LED lights at Tiger Direct today -> $24.95 minus a $20 rebate = $4.95 each. Saw this deal and thought of this thread. Reading the review that's on the site, sounds like they might be too bright for indoors, though.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/sectors/category/deal-of-the-dayca.asp?

I've ordered from them in the past and have never had any issues.