Question to the Fly Fishermen

netminder

I'd love to switch things up and try fishing some local rivers and streams (Looking at my location you probably know exactly what I'm thinking).

I'm not a fly fisherman, and don't intend to invest in that stuff right yet. But if I went to some of the parts where it's single barbless hooks, no live bait, catch and release only with my spinning gear using modified inline spinners would that be frowned upon? I've never seen anyone down at the river, except for a few places, not fly fishing. Just wondering how sideways the looks would be if I did this.

Edited by netminder

They wouldn't like it. They assume (and we all know what that word means) that you're just a loogan trying to mess with the elite fly fishing community. Try fly fishing with a bead around these guys and you're an outcast. A lot of these guys have vintage rod and reels and some very expensive (elite) tackle. they frown on the CTC fly out fits. It is a very elitist group. A lot of bamboo rods and very expensive reels here. So a spinner with barbless hooks would be legal but boy the comments you'd get wouldn't be worth it.

Just do it, I went there with a float rod dead drifting nymphs , yeah, you get sideways glances from the guys dead drifting nymphs below a strike indicator on a fly outfit, I failed to see the difference. Spinning gear and inlines is pushing the envelope a bit farther.

That's kind of what I thought. It's unfortunate because there aren't many places to go creek fishing for trout here unless I go for the stocked stuff in the spring. Just doesn't feel the same. I did find a couple access points that seem a little harder to get to, so maybe I'll go there. The last thing I want to put up with is confrontation.

The stretch he is talking about is single barbless, you have to replace any trebles on a spinner with a single barbless, at least that was the way it used to be.

Yup. Still is. I fully intend to as well.

Thanks for the relies, guys. I might just go down there anyway and if anyone raises a stink they can go rub salt. I shouldn't be worried about what other people think as long as I'm following the rules and not harming anyone.

I am a fly fisherman and fish creeks that are single barbless with no live bait. I don't mind seeing spinner fisherman that are following the rules and i always find it interesting to see what technique is doing better that day. We are all there to fish and enjoy the outdoors. I started fishing a local creek that is special regulations and i couldn't believe how many people were fishing live bait in a no live bait section of the creek. It was sad to see but i know these guys don't represent all spin fisherman. If you go by the rules any technique is good in my book.