wolves vrs huskies NF

manitoubass2

Whats awesome about our dogs is just how smart they are!

I was never a dog persom till i met my wife and she had a boxer. Man I fell in love with that dog! Great companion but not a working dog. Sadly some one poisoned her with antifreeze and she died a horrible death id never wish on anyones pet?

Anyhow, my point is I have zero idea how to train a dog and thats what baffles my mind about our dogs.

When we moved i walked them around the property twice, they will never leave it until they ask permission(via a look directly at me) and I nod. Then theyll chase off wolves for example.

Another thing I find fascinating is that they will hunt squirels and chipmunks and often catch them by working together to trick the squirel out of a tree. I have zero idea how they learned this but its cool to watch.

And ivy is just new to us. The other dogs are training her lol.

Shes got different behaviourisms then malamutes and i was told never let her off her leash or chain or shes gone! Never once has she ran off the property and now she too looks for permission.

And to top things off their favorite thing to do is sit on the shore and fish with me!

I guess you will know there are no wolves around when a carcass is available and the dogs get all of it.

Pretty sure all the wolves are gone for now.

Going on 3 days now of listening to a farmer about 3kms away firing off shots like a mad man!

Im gone drive over there today and ask/see how many he has shot.

Unless hes just wasting rounds on warning shots lol

Edited by manitoubass2

I used to feed my malamute frozen whole fish once a week during the winter months. Most wont eat thawed fish because they no better but frozen are good for them. When there frozen the dog would just eat them like chewing on a big bone start at the head and work their way down to the tail. Only bad thing was stinky breath.

Man, bears in the yard. Two of them.

I knew something was wrong at dark when the dogs went dead silent.

Had to check my panties at the door and go get the dogs inside???

Two friggen bears. Thats very odd

I had a talk with one and she ran off. The other moved and no idea where she is now???

Hopefully gone fishing at the river lol

We've got yotes across the road and a pack of eastern wolves that do frequent this area.

Up north it was mainly timberwolves that weren't around in the Moose as much, but always around up in Skat.

I get what you did Rick. Letting the dogs run them out of town, especially with your large, young family, is understandable. I'm sure you're a pet owner who loves your dogs as much as the next person, but this said, not all pet owners make the same choices, have the same expectations, or even love their pets the same.

A long story from winter 2001... one of my first experiences with wolves.

Back and forth with quitting smoking then, one day taking the cig break right out front the hospital doors I stepped into a crowd of about 40 people. My buddy Mike among them was furthest away, an off duty paramedic who lived next door, was leaning on his fence in tears. "What's going on," I asked a co-worker? "They're putting Mike's dog down."

About two weeks prior to this my bother-in-law Joe knocked on my door during one March blizzard of an evening. He was tracking a wolf that had come into town, had already killed six dogs and fought numerous others. It was only just last seen fighting one of the biggest huskies in town, the next door dog, Niche. The two had it out inside the porch of my friends place, and when Mel opened her door to see this, she kicked the other "dog" in the arse and it took off. That dog was of course the wolf.

Not 15 minutes after Joe left my place there were gunshots from the riverside, just down in front of the church, He caught up to the wolf and killed it. That wolf's head was sent south and a little over a week later it was reported back to Joe with NAPS that it been rabid. A big timberwolf, it slaughtered on it's own 10 or 12 dogs in town and was presumed to have come in contact or squabbled with 30 or more in total.

With no way to control the pet population in Skat the number of strays or dogs loosely looked-after in the community was at a peak. Many communities in the north see cycles of dog populations that peak, until they are culled. And I've heard of some interesting ways that dog populations have been culled over the years... Because of this one wolf in Skat, the strays and any owned dogs that had contact with it, were to be destroyed.

So I took two cigarettes on that break at work. Mike leaning on his fence balling while the NAPS officer chucked a dish of meat scraps down in front of his dog Spotty. On the chain, Spotty may have thought he was getting a treat, or maybe he thought little; as Mike later explained that his dog was in fact acting abnormal and it had been in contact with the wolf.

Spotty leaned in for the food and was shot in the face. The bullet a little off the mark it got the dogs snout. The height that dog jumped into the air, the squeal like a pig noise it made while doing so, and then watching the animal try to bury it's own head into the ground is an image still as vivid in memory as the day it happened. It was over in a moment though, as the second bullet put the dog down immediately. I watched on, as the officer picked the dog up, hurled it over chain-link fence, clearing a ditch, and landing in the back of a pick-up truck with a box full of piled up dead dogs.

64 dogs were put down, some pets. Only a few owners paid the money to quarantine their animals properly, one of them my neighbor Mel who's big husky Niche survived that wolf unscathed.

It doesn't take much in some places for things to get out of hand. In this case, just one wolf alone gone rabid wreaked havoc, and who knows what could have happened had it encountered any people that evening. Imagine too, the dogs not being culled afterwards, many turning rabid themselves. It's a no-win any way you slice it. It's not the first time nor will it be the last time for this kind of thing either, as wolves will hang close by some communities, to pick off stray dogs or anything else they can. Some will come in and take-out easy meals that are chained up too. And it could happen too outside any rural home or farm as well.

Wonder what would have been said about this had I taken that smoke break outside the hospitals doors at Mt. Sinai, C.H.E.O. or some city place like that?

Edited by Moosebunk

i have to laugh about this discussion about gun shots...

You live in Toronto and you hear gun shots, you are ducking for cover and calling the police.

Last weekend I heard a high powered rifle go off very close by, and my first thought was...hmm i wonder what he shot? (yes whoever it was is not supposed to be shooting rifles south of the french but who cares)

Also can anyone confirm that I saw a timberwolf in the pointe au baril area? Is this possible? I know these animals typically are further north, but I was snowmobiling last winter deep in the bush and sure enough an absolutely massive wolf was on the trail, it quickly moved back into the bush, but it definitely was no coyote, this thing was easily 100lbs.

Edited by AKRISONER

i have to laugh about this discussion about gun shots...

You live in Toronto and you hear gun shots, you are ducking for cover and calling the police.

Last weekend I heard a high powered rifle go off very close by, and my first thought was...hmm i wonder what he shot? (yes whoever it was is not supposed to be shooting rifles south of the french but who cares)

Also can anyone confirm that I saw a timberwolf in the pointe au baril area? Is this possible? I know these animals typically are further north, but I was snowmobiling last winter deep in the bush and sure enough an absolutely massive wolf was on the trail, it quickly moved back into the bush, but it definitely was no coyote, this thing was easily 100lbs.

...yes sir there's Timberwolves all thru the that area ..and we shoot rifles and shot guns a lot anytime private property

Moosebunk I totally hear ya.

In manitou the dogs got outta control and they put out a bcr to have one dog per family and it had to be tied up.the rest were to be put down.

It was crazy just packs of dogs all over

My good friend was assigned the task of putting down all the dogs. Hes also an elder and a drum carrier and petitioned to have them euthenized.

Before that went through someone shot a big lab in the face and it survived a day or two(uggh for horrible)

We never had it as bad as up the road in big grassy however. Its insane there. Dogs missing eyes and limbs. Just a small community and there has to be well over 150 stray dogs.

I launch my boat there to get on LOTWs and everytime I see these dogs in crazy fights.

Oh and for the record the farmer down the road shot 6 wolves