wolves vrs huskies NF

manitoubass2

Be careful Rick,IMO they are not the right dogs to take a pack of these on.I had two Malamutes at one time,strong dogs,but that killer instinct,which most dogs don't have,man your playing with fire.JMO that's all Rick.As a perimeter guarding dogs ,you could not beat them.To send them out,is where I think the line may of crossed.?

Edited by davey buoy

There has been a lot of cross breeding with wolves, coyotes, and dogs.

Most of the eastern coyotes have some wolf DNA in them. That is why they are bigger than their western cousins.

Wolves are believe to have cross bread with dogs that the first nations people brought with them to North America. Some wolves are black; the black colouring is inherited from dogs.

We have plenty of hybrids here. Coyote and dog mix. I always thought they were a Wolf, Coy, dog mix but was told there are no true wolves this far south of Algonquin Park. I do know I see some that are huge sunning on the ice on Erie. I am glad to hear the dogs are fine. I know there is a difference between Fluffy the Labradoodle or some lap dog and a dog with a job. We call them bush wolves down here on the US border. Please no PM's about lap dogs, they serve a purpose too I suppose as good companions.

Dave buoy, i understand your concern.

But this is the country and if my dogs dont guard the property the wolves stay.

This is where my kids play

I would not send them out if I didnt trust them 1000%.

Theyve done it for years

I will not shoot them because I have no use for them, thats against my beliefs.

My dogs kill one they move on, id rather that then shoot 5 wolves that I have zero use for.

I know many of you might not get it, thats fine, they are not your dogs and this is not your property

I started the thread so its fine to voice your opinions?

And thats not just directed at you davey thats for everyone?

I love dogs and I love that they(my dogs) have purpose. There not just pretty lapdogs(although they are awesome for that too lol)

Id also like to add, to the other husky owners. Our dogs are not average. They have hunted their whole lives. They eat wild game and meat only

They hunt with our family, and they hunt on there own. They are perfectly capable

Just dont break into my house cause they will lick you to death???

They dont protect the inside of the house worth a lick lol

Dave buoy, i understand your concern.

But this is the country and if my dogs dont guard the property the wolves stay.

This is where my kids play

I would not send them out if I didnt trust them 1000%.

Theyve done it for years

I will not shoot them because I have no use for them, thats against my beliefs.

My dogs kill one they move on, id rather that then shoot 5 wolves that I have zero use for.

I know many of you might not get it, thats fine, they are not your dogs and this is not your property

I started the thread so its fine to voice your opinions

And thats not just directed at you davey thats for everyone

I love dogs and I love that they(my dogs) have purpose. There not just pretty lapdogs(although they are awesome for that too lol)

Id also like to add, to the other husky owners. Our dogs are not average. They have hunted their whole lives. They eat wild game and meat only

They hunt with our family, and they hunt on there own. They are perfectly capable

Just dont break into my house cause they will lick you to death

They dont protect the inside of the house worth a lick lol

Too each's own,still thinking your crazy !!lol. :good:

Lol.

Well part of my original post wasnt true either after I reread it(it was late ya know lol)

My dog cocoa is not on a leash.

Shes the smallest one

So another aspect is if I dont let the other two go, shes dead for sure.

Why is she not chained up you might ask?

Cause like davey said, im crazy lol

Seriously though if she doesnt warn us the wolves would easily kill two of our dogs if they are both chained up

It's just hard to understand for the folks like me who have lived with "Fluffy" their whole lives. Even though "Fluffy" may have been a Shepard, Pyrenees, or Aussie (who's nick name is Walmart because she greets everybody at the door)

If that's the way the dogs have been raised and are used to that way of life, so be it. I am sure they are loved the same as our southern companions. Perhaps even more so.

Glad they came home safe.

Having a dog of my own, but by far not like any of yours Manitou..... I enjoyed reading this whole thread, and can appreciate both sides of the story, or opinions rather. My guy is a doodle himself being mixed with border collie, and he's afraid of his own shadow sometimes. So I just think it's kickass hearing about others that have "dogs with jobs", if you wanna call it that.

If you could, I'd love to see some pics of these bad boys that keep your family safe.

Big dogs who only eat meat. I could never afford that, kudos to you on how you manage.

But, as you said, they hunt (with you and on their own), they probably help keep the local Deer, Rabbit, Skunk, Game bird, Badger, and Predator populations in check.

Cheers,

Mark

Big dogs who only eat meat. I could never afford that, kudos to you on how you manage.

But, as you said, they hunt (with you and on their own), they probably help keep the local Deer, Rabbit, Skunk, Game bird, Badger, and Predator populations in check.

Cheers,

Mark

Yeah they eat deer but ive never seen them take one down. I save some from hunting for them or even pick up road kill.

They just killed and ate a badger not two months ago lol.

They love partidge they hunt on theyre own, rabbits too.

They eat fish carcasses whole and after that they get beef pork moose.

Slicks is really gnarly for eating skunk. She does it at least once a month. She never gets sprayed but it still stinks.

Cocoa is a little more reserved. She eats her kill slowly( slicks even eats lamprey without chewing yuck). Shes the smallest but the bravest.

Ivy is reserved, shes still learning. Like a typical siberian the eats for reserves. Shes still figuring things out(shes only a year old)

They eat like queens lol. All 3 are female.

Ivy is 100% siberian

Slicks is 100% malamute

Cocoa is slicks daughter, a mut. Her dads were rottweiler and golden retriever.

Friggen awesome dogs!!!

The only gunshots I would hear was when we lived in downtown Hamilton. We moved. I can't believe I lived there for 45 years. I heard gunshots this AM, no idea why maybe the local sheep farmer shoeing away Coy dogs.

In the bush its normal

Frig when i lived in grande prairie I almost got shot by some lil teen thugs comin home from work one day. Unreal

I parked on the road about a block away with the company truck cause a co worker lived nearbye.

Im walking home and two vehicle full of teens are squakin at each other. On opposite sides of the road.

I cross over to head home and im right in the middle of gunfire all of the sudden!

Lil punks.

I could hear at least 4 shots zoom right by my head.

Friggen crazy

Kids will be kids right? Lol

Great looking dogs bud!!! Never knew a full fish, fins and all, would be ok for a dog to swallow down..... Mine gets some from our fishing trips, but I just slice him a filet, minus the fins... Vertebrae intact though! I'm won't go to extreme lengths, and giving him a boneless/skinless filet! Screw that. Lol

Edited by Smokercrafty

Great looking dogs bud!!! Never knew a full fish, fins and all, would be ok for a dog to swallow down..... Mine gets some from our fishing trips, but I just slice him a filet, minus the fins... Vertebrae intact though! I'm won't go to extreme lengths, and giving him a boneless/skinless filet! Screw that. Lol

Thanks man! They are awesome dogs!

And yeah they eat the whole carcass. They dont waste anything.

You should see them eat deer lol. Howah!

Letting your dogs run deer out of season is against the law, CO's have the authority to shoot them if required. Been a few cases where this has been the case in the south, just sayin for your dog's protection.

http://www.nugget.ca/2015/02/12/warning-to-dog-owners

They dont hunt deer. They eat deer carcass or deer meat i give them.

Nothing illegal about it bud

Edited by manitoubass2

manitou, I'm always super impressed with dogs with jobs. The faith that you have in them doing their job is just as impressive. I can only imagine how gnarly it must be when they're chowing down on a deer! Yikes!

Its not scary lol. They just grab pieces here and there as they see fit.

For as well as they eat they can be pretty smart about reserving their food.

When i feed them they eat

When they have a carcass(usually after freeze up) they just go to it when they want. Carcass will last a month or so, maybe 2 months.

If i had a deer now theyde eat as much as possible before it spoiled and i dont like doing that unless its fresh roadkill.