Who's Fished Georgian Bay in the Parry Sound Area???

jtracc

Hey guys,my family has a cottage just east of parry sound and for years I've wanted to fish the bay, I'm just a little apprehensive with all the rocks. Recently I fished the bay south of parry sound with a buddy and we put a beating on the bass. I am super motivated to try the bay up in parry sound and wondering a few things.

1. Can I expect to be protected by high winds ?

2. Is there good action within the inner part of the bay or do I have to venture out to the main bay..

3. Is there large weed clumps flats like the south end of the bay where flipn and pitchn can be used or is it more rocky?

Thx for any info

Joe

Edited by jtracc

If you know where to go, action is continuous, not so much size wise but quantity. Youll be looking for rocks. Where i go, i can dropshot right under the boat and consistently pull them up, wish the size was there, but it makes for a fun outing

plenty of fishing to be had in protected areas...id fish smallies over largies.

spend some more time around here and more people will be willing to give info...still a bit new for me

Don't really need people to tell me where to fish I'd like to think I'm pretty capable of catching fish...

My questions where based on expectations.

Thanks for all the info guys I will let you know how I made out.

FYI I was a member of Ontario out of doors for 10 plus yrs, unfortunately it's not the site it use to be so I moved on.

cheers everyone

Joe

If you know where to go, action is continuous, not so much size wise but quantity. Youll be looking for rocks. Where i go, i can dropshot right under the boat and consistently pull them up, wish the size was there, but it makes for a fun outing

what size are we talking Dan,

I can consistently pull in 3's all day.

still hunting for a 5...although im new to it, but if i can catch a pile of 3's...you know theres gonna be 5's without a heck of a lot of work.

Ive personally seen 2 of them while snorkelling my one honey hole last summer...came back an hour later and couldnt get a bite lol.

When you look at the structure in the area, it only makes sense that the smallmouth fishing is going to be primo, the whole lakes structure is perfect smallie structure lol.

Hate to break anyone's heart, but a 20-inch smallmouth from this area isn't going to weigh five pounds. While that rocky Canadian Shield shoreline does scream "bass," the reality is that it's relatively infertile, and bass there do not pack on weight like the smallmouth from Erie, Simcoe, St. Clair or the Thousand Islands do. If the poster wants big smallmouth, quite honestly, there are other places that produce them on a far more consistent basis.

Parry Sound is primarily about good numbers of smallmouth in the 15- to 18-inch range, which generally weigh from a little under two pounds to perhaps three pounds and change. There is a small population of larger fish, which tends to suspend in the water column off of structure and move around quite a bit depending on the wind and baitfish. If you find them, then you're into bona-fide four-pound-plus smallmouth. But finding those fish and staying on them is very, very difficult. For the most part, you go to Parry Sound to catch good numbers of smallmouth from one to three pounds. And let's be honest, that's great fun.

There is some decent largemouth fishing in a few areas in and around Parry Sound, but quite honestly, there are other parts of Georgian Bay that are far, far better.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

just as a guide guys because i have been measuring every decent sized smallie that I have caught this spring...everything I caught between 18-19" was 3 or a tick over 3.

Remember this was in June on opener, so the fish were running thin due to their starvation period.

Edited by AKRISONER