Help with pictures ?

GbayGiant

So everything was fine with my old simple camera I had to change nothing to put photos on the net but I just got a new one and It is much better quality so I found out I have to resize the pictures to post them. It took a couple minutes and I figured out how to resize a photo but now it automatically goes from a jpg file to a psf file when I resize it and I can't post a pfs file .

So my question is how do I get it back to a jpg from a psf after I re-size it ?

Thanks.

Got this program from Terry. Windows XP has a decent resizer program also.

This is a good photo resizing program, and its free.

http://www.download3000.com/download-Visua...t-reg-8155.html

Download it, and install it.

Make a new folder on your desktop, or anywhere you like, and call it whatever you want.

Copy your pictures into said folder.

Start up Visualizer Photo Resize, and indicate the path to your folder.

You can now choose size and aspect ratio, along with "options" such as a watermark or embedded text such as a copyright logo before hitting the resize button on the bottom right.

You can resize multiple pictures also, not just one at a time. I have done about 10 or more over 1 meg in size, and it takes only seconds.

Once you hit resize, the program makes a new folder in the folder you created, called "resized", and in that folder your pictures will usually be small enough to upload to message boards.

The "save for web" is a Photoshop option.

If he/she doesnt have photoshop, then they wont see that choice.

As a network administrator/web developer, I am warning you about downloading programs from various websites.

That link they sent might be ok, but you never know what your going to get from downloading off the web.

I find the easiest way (with XP) to resize pics for the web is to highlite the pics you want, right click and go to "send too- e-mail recipient". It will ask to resize them, make all my pictures smaller. Then when the e-mail pops up, just drag the pics from e-mail to your desk top. Then you can put them wherever you want. It's a lot faster when resizing numerous pics.

Perfect solution.

That would be the (basic) equivalent to the "save for web" option in photoshop.

You also dont have the risk of downloading some unwanted crap!

But, if your pocket book can afford it, pick up a copy of Photoshop CS2.

Its fantastic!

Also, if anyone has a bunch of pictures they want resized, I can help them out. Just email me the picture you want re-sized.

PM if you need any help.

(I have Photoshop CS2)

I could also make your pictures into a nice online photo gallery!

Thanks guys fast replies like usual ;) I'll mess around and try those ideas. I don't have photoshop but yes I should get it looks like great software. I just used the software that came with the camera, "PhotoImpression" but it's my first day looking that over too.

Hen I didn't get the pm last night but just got the new one. :)

Stoty you might be getting a few PM's, lol, I think I'll get the hang of it.

I'm not a fan of batch resizing. So, any simple photo editing program will give you the option of re sizing your photos. Choose 640x480, a common size for posting on the net. From there you should be given an option of compression. Anything under 100 kb's is good. A little sharpening and you're good to go.

For use on this site, try and find the best compromise between altering physical size and altering files size (compression rate). It takes a bit of experimentation, but you can usually get by with 800px widths and a 60% lossy compression (medium or high quality) and come in under 100Kb as DanC recommends. Alot depends on the number of colours in the image. You don't need to get too fancy with web images.

I can't wait till we can do lightbox with this site...soon to come!

It all depends on what the software that came with the camera can do with the pictures. He might not have very many options when it comes to compression.

If you do it right, you can chop the file size, but lose little/no quality. At least not visually on screen. Printing those pictures, is a whole different story!

Very nice!!!

Yes, gotta have the zoom for your camera. Its almost a must now-a-days.

Camera even has image stabilization! Extra bonus!

Wildlife is by far the best thing to capture (besides the wife of course). Lately I have been having photoshoots in my backyard with my dog! lol

GbayGiant : To resize with Photo Impression all you have to do is:

1. Find the picture and open it in Photo Impression.

2. Once you have the picture open select "Edit" from the menu on the left.

3. On the bottom right you will see the size in pixels. Height and Width.

4. High lite the Height and then type in 600 or what ever size you want and click ok. The width will be automatically resized to match the size of the height.

Click "save" on the menu and then "save" on the bottom if you don't want to retain the original picture.

If you want to keep the original and also keep the resized picture then click "save" on the menu then "save as" and change the name of the picture. By doing this the original will stay the original size and the resized picture will also be saved at the smaller size.

Tom

I haven't tried any of the advice from above yet (But I'm going to after fishing this weekend, with lots of big fish to report :rolleyes: ) Stoty, it just has a button that says resize and you can type in whatever you want, but then it changes it to a psf file and I can't find anything on it that will change it back to jpg, I think they gave me the basic software, nothing special.

hmmmm......

there should be a "save as" option somewhere which would let you save it to a few different formats (bmp, jpg, tiff, gif, png).

If it doesnt have that, then MAYBE just literally changing the files extension to .jpg.

Example if you resize a picture, and save the resized image to your desktop and the filename is "picture1.psf" try right-clicking on the file and choose rename...

Then change the name to "picture1.jpg". It should ask you if you're sure you want to change the extension. (say yes).

The try to open it, and look at the file size.

That could be an option for you...

But like I said, if you want pictures re-sized and "web friendly" then just email me the pictures ([email protected]), and I will gladly help you out.

Cheers!