Perch on the French River or Nipissing

wvmedic

Anyone do any Perch fishing on the French River or the west arm of Nipissing mid summer?

I'm going to be in the Wolseley bay area on the 22nd of July and since we are only 16km from Nipissing. I think we are going to do a day on the west arm.

Any way, our target fish are Walleye and Pike. I would like to target some Perch as well.

Any suggestions as to the best approach to catching a mess of jumbo Perch?

Thanks, Jeff

I've caught perch in the Wolesely Bay area, but never targeted them. Mine were caught drifting crawlers for bass and walleye. I'd think if you did the same, or used minnows, in the weedy areas you'd have as good a chance as anybody.

You likely already know this, but can't access Lake Nip from that area. You'd have to trailer a boat to the Dokis Reserve above the Chaidiere dams.

bigcreekdad, thank you for your reply.

That is how I have caught them in the past. I've never targeted them, and have caught very few jumbo's. Figured I'd give it a go for some jumbo's this time if the Walleye are not cooperating.

I was aware of having to trailer the boat, I'm going to put in at Sucker Creek. I have been to Lakair a number of times starting around 1973.

Thanks for pointing that out though, just in case I wasn't aware.

Jeff