Last Minute Moon River Advice ** Added a few pics**

NAW

My and my girlfriend have been planning a 4 day canoe trip for a while how. And after some long talks last night, we decided to switch our destination to the Moon River.

She really wanted her first canoe camping trip to be an adventure for both of us, and to go somewhere that I have never been before.

I've always wanted to do a few days on the Moon.

My plan is to go park at one of the Marina's in the moon river basin / Wood Bay / Arnold Bay rd area. Then head out for some R&R up the river.

I have all the normal questions....

1. Does anyone know a good safe marina in the area I can park at? (or if you know a free spot PM ME PLEASE!!!)

2. Has anyone paddled the river before heading up stream? How are the portage routes? There looks like lot of rapids

3. Targeting pike and pickerel.. Hows the fishing up there? Should I get my hopes up?

4. Any special recommendations for things to check out in the area? Trails, Scenery, look out points, etc...

5. Has anyone over heard of "Mooning on the Moon"?? The Toronto Nudist Club event each year.. Is this true??

I think we will set up camp central somewhere, then do little day paddle trips. Out in to the bay one day.. Up to the 400 the next.. That sort of thing.

We are really looking forward to kicking off the camping season with an amazing trip. So if you know the area, and have any advice, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited by N.A.W

Good luck, that was the place for big Walleye 40 or so years ago. Dominated the ten of the Molson's Big Fish Contest back then, fellow I worked with , topped the Walleye division with a fish of 17 plus in the mid 70's. Some big musky came from there as well, thinking O'Brien caught his 55 there.

If I get a big ski on...I'll just cut my line. I don't have the gear to handle that, specially in a canoe, with a rookie girlfriend angler.

That could end my camping weekend if things went wrong!

Yep, obriens muskie was caught in blackstone harbour off the moon. Ive been there a couple times for skis but no luck, i stayed at a place west of the 400 that sits in a bay of the moon right below the falls. If you fish that bay and under the falls you might be able to pick up some wallys or smallmouth. I believe its the first unpassable barrier if you were to come in the moon from georgian bay.

Best of luck to you on your trip, be careful in the woods bay area its a decent sized stretch of water with some bigger boats around.

Thanks Gallie!

We are planning on doing the 450 meter portage over that first set of falls (moon river falls), and heading up river for the most part. We will only do 1 day trip down to Woods bay, if we're not to hung over!!

I didn't realize big boats could make it in there. Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks Dave! I will be hanging my food in dry bags.

I'm used to camping with 10 to 15 loud noisy guys who stay up all night drinking and partying. SO bears are never an issue.

This trip will be a little different. And to be honest, it slipped my mind! So thanks.

Edited by N.A.W

I canoed down it one year from the highway and out into the bay and back up 12 Mile Bay. My buddies and I did the first leg to the Moon Falls in about half a day. We decided to go to the Twin Rapids because it was only one portage instead of two going the northerly route. The portage was brutal up and over a very steep rock cut. We should have shot the rapids instead but were in a borrowed fiberglass canoe and did not want to chance it.

There are quite a few Massasauga Rattlers around Moon Falls so be careful if you camp there.

We did not fish anywhere along the way, however I do fish the Basin on a regular basis and recommend camping out in Iron City Bay. There are plenty of Islands to explore and it is well protected from GBay. The bass fishing is quite decent there. You can stay on one site and do lots of exploring.

I grew up fishing and camping on the moon river in bala. I would suggest starting your trip in bala at the falls and end it at the mouth. As you paddle down the lake south on gaunt bay there are several canoe routs you can stop, camp for the night or just stop for a rest and a bite to eat. It will prob take you guys a few hours to get to the narrow part of the river that is dammed. I think this rout is the nicest, most scenic and most private. You really feel like you are in the wilderness. Now there is more portaging as the river drops as you get to the mouth. The fishing is excellent, there will be tons small mouth with pike and walleye as you get closer to the mouth. There is even a few LM holes! Have a look on google maps I think it's a nicer trip. Good luck and have fun

Joe

wouldn't it be more enjoyable to paddle down stream instead :canadian:

Haha. Ya, but the 4 day hang over paddle home is much easier downstream!

I canoed down it one year from the highway and out into the bay and back up 12 Mile Bay. My buddies and I did the first leg to the Moon Falls in about half a day. We decided to go to the Twin Rapids because it was only one portage instead of two going the northerly route. The portage was brutal up and over a very steep rock cut. We should have shot the rapids instead but were in a borrowed fiberglass canoe and did not want to chance it.

There are quite a few Massasauga Rattlers around Moon Falls so be careful if you camp there.

I am a little worried about the portage. It's going to be lots of fun!

And thanks for the heads up on the snakes!

Just a map if you want. Was planning on going there one day so I did a little research a while ago. Ken O'Briens beast was caught in Blackstone Harbour. Oh by the way don't cut your line if you have a big one on haha. You just might get her in.

Thanks for the map!

I really want to do a day trip out that way. But it all depends on how much fun we have up top!

I grew up fishing and camping on the moon river in bala. I would suggest starting your trip in bala at the falls and end it at the mouth. As you paddle down the lake south on gaunt bay there are several canoe routs you can stop, camp for the night or just stop for a rest and a bite to eat. It will prob take you guys a few hours to get to the narrow part of the river that is dammed. I think this rout is the nicest, most scenic and most private. You really feel like you are in the wilderness. Now there is more portaging as the river drops as you get to the mouth. The fishing is excellent, there will be tons small mouth with pike and walleye as you get closer to the mouth. There is even a few LM holes! Have a look on google maps I think it's a nicer trip. Good luck and have fun

Joe

Thanks for the reply! I'm thinking this will be a place I go to several times again in my lifetime! It looks like a beautiful river!

Do you think it's worth brining my depth finder to mount on the canoe? Or is the river shallow for the most part??

I just wanted to give a quick update and say thanks again to everyone who offered advice in this thread.

The camping trip went off with out a hitch!

Amazing weather, no bears, no rattle snakes, lots of fish, and lots of relaxing in the sun!

So thanks again!

I'll definitely be going back to the Moon River! It's a great place! Way to many nooks and crannies to explore in only 4 days.

Edited by N.A.W

Hahahaha!

I was waiting for someone to chime in on that!

She know's what I'm talking about! As you can see from the pics below, she really enjoyed the trip!!

Here's a few pics from the trip.

DSC_0766_zps3a7vxgab.jpg

DSC_0835_zps8hiv1wnr.jpg

DSC_0738_zpsafgx5jp6.jpg

DSC_0810_zpskf7unxkt.jpg

DSC_0720_zpst9xb02sk.jpg

DSC_0718_zpsh2kmngzm.jpg

DSC_0854_zpsy0wfc2gi.jpg

DSC_0795_zpsz9co7x0h.jpg

DSC_0750_zpsafhwwhlv.jpg

Edited by N.A.W

We caught a total of 4 wallies in 4 days. All small ones. And all where cause casting rapalas through the current at the bottom of rapids/falls.

And all the pics where taken from my Sony Xperia phone. The things takes amazing photos.