ATV trailer

wkrp

I got a 5x10 for that purpose,it has a drop down ramp and anchors mounted on the floor to use rachets straps to tie down, 3500lb axle ,15 inch tires,also has a lockable storage box on the front for helmets,boots and muddy/wet gear.perfect for both atv and snowmachine.

I bought a 6 x 10 enclosed cargo trailer for the ATV and ice hut. Although under the 1300kg/3000lb limit, I added trailer brakes for added safety. I hummed and hawed about a drop down ramp door or barn doors. If your ramp door is not evenly supported on the ground and you drive on it, it may get warped. I went with the double barn doors and made my own ramps from 2 x 10 hemlock, ramp ends are available at PA. Again if you think you may be adding tracks onto the ATV for winter use, make sure the door opening and trailer are wide enough to accomodate them. The trailer also serves as my bedroom when going hunting or ATVing for extended periods.

Galvanized is preferable along with everything bowslayer mentions. Mine is 5 X 10 and I wish I had of went for a 6 X 10. Sometimes I wanted to leave the plow attached to the ATV and it is already at 60" wide which makes for a very tight fit inside the body of the trailer, even when the blade is on an angle.

All these are great ideas or you can go to one of the big box stores and buy the el cheapo tin crap that you can see bend as you drive up the ramp.My buddy has one and has had it rewelded several times !!!! If you are going to keep it DON"T cheap out, buy it once look after it and it will last a life time.

vance

I've had several open deck trailers in the past, but the road salt, sand & grime on my atv always annoyed me. My next trailer will definitely be an enclosed unit with slide out ramps. As mentioned above the flip down door will definitely take a beating. I would also install a boat winch at the front to winch the atv snug. On the rear I would install 2 chains. Attach the 2 chains to the atv first, then snug it to the front of the trailer with the winch. I do not like ratchet straps! They seem to get hooked onto everything!

When buying a trailer to tow an atv , what should I look for in a trailer?

Peter, theres a new shop in Barrie here. He makes some real nice stuff. Might be worth your time to stop in and see him. I hear he is very reasonable.

PM if interested.