Bug report, Parry Sound, Whitestone area??nf

Court R

My brother was up at the cottage In Pointe Au Baril over the weekend and said it was the absolute worst bugs he has ever seen in his entire life, the mosquitos were even worse than when we lived in Flin Flon Manitoba...Both the black flies and the skeeters were out in full effect because it was cloudy and damp.

dont think this is the news youd like to hear lol but I may as well be honest.

I was in Emsdale over the weekend and the skitos were giving err pretty hard too there, but not many black flies.

Edited by AKRISONER

Thanks guys... I'm heading to my place on Wahwashkesh on the weekend but not sure if the family wants to deal with all the bugs!

Big chunk of water, only fished it twice but got some nice eyes and a big gator, nice area!

Was in the cold water area near Gloucester pool the bugs were nuts! Skeeters were the worst, felt like the Muskol was an attractant. They didn't care how much or what we put on.They were biting us right through our bug net shirts....Good luck. Im not going back until July!

Was in the cold water area near Gloucester pool the bugs were nuts! Skeeters were the worst, felt like the Muskol was an attractant. They didn't care how much or what we put on.They were biting us right through our bug net shirts....Good luck. Im not going back until July!

Yeah mosquitos up there have been crazy, although I've had no issues while on the water. However, once you hit land watch out!

seconded to what bill said, we were out on a small lake near emsdale, hit the water and the bugs went right down, there were a few but totally manageable, as soon as we hit land though, good lord. Even more so as we walked the bush trail back to the car, holy mother of god. I almost took a video it was so intense. You know its crazy when an iphone video would have easily picked up the skitter storm.

Fresh moose tracks were found between the time we went out and 4 hours later when we came in...i have no idea how those poor creatures live full time in it.

Edited by AKRISONER

CR,

My home lake is within a 30 min radius of Whitestone. I’ve spent the last 3 weekends (extended) up there and heading back again Thursday. I can tell you that so far, black flies & mossies have been manageable. I’ve put a wheelchair ramp in, done some general R&M outdoors and a fair bit of fishing. Lots of Deet (OFF family care product goes on dry and is less smelly) & an OFF repellant clip, light long sleeves, pants & long socks have worked well for me. I never needed a face cover.

However, bug activity was definitely up & down based on wind, rain, sunshine & overcast skies but always manageable. I never needed to ‘stay inside’ because the bugs were too thick. That said, I don’t believe they have peaked in the area yet. Or could be a quiet spring for bug activity due to kill off from some subzero overnights the past few weeks?

Would I bring the wife & kids though? Definitely not yet as wife’s tolerance is zero and the grand kids (2 & 4) are a little too young IMO to be hosed down in Deet. I’m going to see how the activity is this weekend and see if maybe the following week would be more suitable for the family??

Deet up and don’t forget the sunscreen (sunscreen first, 15 minutes later Deet). Hope this helps.

Slayer

UPDATE: w/e of June 5th-8th

Did not encounter any black flies. MO's were prevelant dawn & dusk (regular summer pattern) & were pretty much a non factor throughout the day. We were able to sit undisturbed on the open deck, dock & boat in shorts & tees. + fishing was awesome. Pike & Walleye were very active and everyone caught multiple fish. Gonna bring the grand girls this weekend.

Looks like the buggers have peaked & petered out :)

CR,

My home lake is within a 30 min radius of Whitestone. Ive spent the last 3 weekends (extended) up there and heading back again Thursday. I can tell you that so far, black flies & mossies have been manageable. Ive put a wheelchair ramp in, done some general R&M outdoors and a fair bit of fishing. Lots of Deet (OFF family care product goes on dry and is less smelly) & an OFF repellant clip, light long sleeves, pants & long socks have worked well for me. I never needed a face cover.

However, bug activity was definitely up & down based on wind, rain, sunshine & overcast skies but always manageable. I never needed to stay inside because the bugs were too thick. That said, I dont believe they have peaked in the area yet. Or could be a quiet spring for bug activity due to kill off from some subzero overnights the past few weeks?

Would I bring the wife & kids though? Definitely not yet as wifes tolerance is zero and the grand kids (2 & 4) are a little too young IMO to be hosed down in Deet. Im going to see how the activity is this weekend and see if maybe the following week would be more suitable for the family??

Deet up and dont forget the sunscreen (sunscreen first, 15 minutes later Deet). Hope this helps.

Slayer

Edited by pikeslayer