Great long weekend on Lake Erie

Bondar

Spent the last 13 days on vacation the first 7 days in Cayo Coco cuba for some flats fishing which didn't go quite to plan with high winds and cloud cover and rain made sight fishing the flats very difficult. Also all guides were booked for the week so we could not get in a skiff with the guides. I had my first Crack at a permit that didn't want to eat and lost one small bonefish, my buddy landed one decent bone on his first cast of the trip and that was it.

So after returning home Wednesday I still had a few more days off. I fished Friday, Saturday Sunday and Monday on Lake Erie. Friday went for perch on Lake Erie but struggled to find a solid school that would stay under the boat for more than a couple minutes bringing 40 good eaters home.

Saturday I went out again in search of them but when I got to the lake this is what I saw IMG_20150516_133037_zps41svxmwn.jpg

IMG_20150516_120837_zpslayi2jp3.jpg

Couldn't see more than about 30' in any direction so I just headed to a spot where I'd marked them the day before. After picking up a half dozen perch I started to drive around slowly looking for a school, when I heard a boat come driving up behind me waving his arms and hollering at me. Turns out he'd gotten turned around in the fog with no gps and couldn't find his way in so I had him follow me back to the ramp. So I decided I'll just call it a day.

Sunday I fished with my dad and we planned to fish the us side of Erie and I'm sure glad we did. Sun was shinning with no wind and the fog had lifted for the most part

We set out to catch some eyes and bass, and it was a good decision

We ended up with some eyes and a bunch of big smallmouth thrown in the bunch

This one was .02 shy of 6lbs

IMG_20150517_123756_zpsqkafo3gr.jpg

IMG_20150517_132036_zpsnvkiotci.jpg

IMG_20150517_151623_zps5so8ebn1.jpg

It was a beauty day spent on Erie with Dad.

Monday my girlfriend and myself met up with my dad in the morning and headed out to Erie again to try for the perch,we didn't get there till about 10am after stopping for bait and coffee and what not. We drove out to a spot and was on a big school for a short period until they moved from under us never to be seen again. We ended with enough for a good fry before the west winds blew us off the lake, my girlfriend was just happy to catch a couple fish for the first time this season and yes she got the biggest one

IMG_20150518_135043_zpshr4jr6fp.jpg

It was a great long weekend filled with lots of fishing and fish frys :D now back to reality this afternoon for work waiting for Friday to be back in the boat

Edited by Bondar

Your day on Sunday sounds very interesting!!

I would love to hear more about your jigging technique? I'm assuming the fish are still shallow this time of the year (less than 35')?

Do you use jigging spoons or tube jigs?

That sounds like a VERY cool technique!!