battery set up?

ilario

So I just bought a 'new' boat and the fellow sold it to with a Mopar Premium 60 (525 cold cranks/80 min reserve). This is used for the finder, bilge, and lights. I've been advised to buy a seperate deep cycle for the trolling motor. What should I buy in terms of capacity? Also, a friend mentioned connnecting all the electronics onto the deep cycle so that I can eliminate the extra 20lb battery.. any suggestions?

thanks!

p.s. what type of charger would i need for this set up? I have one from my dad's old boat and it states that it charges deep cycle batteries (10/2/55 AMP fully automatic battery charger and engine starter)

I would use two batteries. The one for your fishfinder dosnt work as good if it has less than full charge. Does your outboard charge a battery?

does it charge a battery? not sure! I currently have 2 motors (one will be sold shortly) - a 10hp Honda and an 18hp evinrude. How can I know if it charges?

thanks,

PP

The Honda has a charge port on the shifter side, covered by a rubber cap. You'll need to get the appropriate plug from a Honda dealer, attach about 5-6 feet of 12-14 ga. standed wire with alligator clips to charge the battery. Probably wouldn't hurt to have a 15 amp fuse in line with that.

So I just bought a 'new' boat and the fellow sold it to with a Mopar Premium 60 (525 cold cranks/80 min reserve). This is used for the finder, bilge, and lights. I've been advised to buy a seperate deep cycle for the trolling motor. What should I buy in terms of capacity? Also, a friend mentioned connnecting all the electronics onto the deep cycle so that I can eliminate the extra 20lb battery.. any suggestions?

thanks!

p.s. what type of charger would i need for this set up? I have one from my dad's old boat and it states that it charges deep cycle batteries (10/2/55 AMP fully automatic battery charger and engine starter)

Most people have their electronics, bilge, lights etc. running off the cranking battery the alternator in your outboard will keep it charged.You should buy a deep cycle battery for your trolling motor I use a Bass Pro Shop brand and so far good I think it`s a 27 series just remember to re-charge it after each use this will prolong it`s life.

I don`t about your cranking battery it is a automotive battery and I am sure marine batteries are designed for marine use.

If you opt for the one battery option you better make sure it`s in tip top shape nothing worse than running your fishfinder and trolling motor all day and then go and try to start your motor and you have no juice. Personally I like have 2 or 3 batteries on board and a booster pack just in case.

Your battery charger should be good it`s automatic and has 10 and 2 settings which you would need for the deep cycle.

The Honda has a charge port on the shifter side, covered by a rubber cap. You'll need to get the appropriate plug from a Honda dealer, attach about 5-6 feet of 12-14 ga. standed wire with alligator clips to charge the battery. Probably wouldn't hurt to have a 15 amp fuse in line with that.

Ya, you're right about that... so does this mean that the deep cycle can be charged as I run the motor? would it take the same amount of time as it would if I charged it with a battery charger?

thanks...

I use an isolation unit from CTC. (Often used in RVs) It allows me to charge both batteries off of the motor while keeping them isolated from each other. In this fashion I am sure that my starting battery will not be drained through the electrical system but will still be charged as I run up and down the lake.

Is their any point in buying one of those small solar panelled chargers that charges at 2 amps and hook it up to your main battery even though its being charged by the boats motor?

what id like to do is hook up all electronics to one battery. I do alot of trolling so id imagine the battery will be charged while trolling but during those times when not trolling.

is there any point to this or should i just rely on the motors charge?

thanks

If you can find a "small" 2 amp solar panel, let me kow too. A 15 watt panel puts out a measley .8 to 1 amp under the most ideal conditions and then you are paying over $100 for that, so $200 for a 2 amp mode, and then it takes about about 2 feet x 3 feet of space. IMHO, waste of time unless your boat sits out in the open under a keen eye due to the price.

Correct me if Im wrong Fisherman,but that motor wont give enough charge out to keep the battery charged up. He would have to running the motor the whole time to make up the loss from using the toys on board.

Myself PP,I would go with 2 DEEP CYCLE batteries, as you will not require alot of cranking amps for that motor,and recharge them at the end of your day. Yes you can use a deep cell for cranking,just have to make sure you charge it at the end of the day like I said.

Edited by misfish

hm.. i have a question to add to this..

for PP, is the problem that he has too many things hooked up onto the battery that it will drain the battery really fast? or more of a safety concern?

For me..

I have rv/marine power pack from CTC..

0111553_450_CC_3192f.jpg

I want to run my trolling motor off it and the pump, then at night time, maybe have all three on it?

Is there a problem with it? It will drain it too fast or safety?

couple things to think about

Unless your running wot for long distances forget about getting any charge from your motor and you won't be disappointed by it.

Isolators drop about .5 volt so your batteries never top up fully, consider a switch.

We are talking about a 10 hp honda that will probably start first pull on a cord not a v8 inboard, sure its nice to have the electric start but its not a disaster if the battery runs down. Some of the thoughts here are bang on for a boat that needs the electric start.

I tossed my deep cycle batteries because they wouldn't charge of the alt. 15 min of charge time at idle gave me 15 min running time on the FF. when I had the old stock alt. that was around 15 amp. The starting batteries seemed to charge faster.

Now that I've upgraded the alt. I might try a deep cycle for the electronics again.

Correct me if Im wrong Fisherman,but that motor wont give enough charge out to keep the battery charged up. He would have to running the motor the whole time to make up the loss from using the toys on board.

Myself PP,I would go with 2 DEEP CYCLE batteries, as you will not require alot of cranking amps for that motor,and recharge them at the end of your day. Yes you can use a deep cell for cranking,just have to make sure you charge it at the end of the day like I said.

Well, I can only go by the past, I had an 84 7.5HP Honda (essentially the same as the 10HP), I ran my FF, lights, AM?FM and one electric downrigger from one battery, the only time it was charged out of the boat was at the start of the season and then in the garage during winter. The Honda kept it charged well enough that I never noticed any lack of power to run everyhting. I now use a '96 Honda 25 electric start, one battery(starting) to run AM/FM, VHF, lights when needed, F/F and the same electric downrigger. Honestly, never had a problem with lack of power.

Well, I can only go by the past, I had an 84 7.5HP Honda (essentially the same as the 10HP), I ran my FF, lights, AM?FM and one electric downrigger from one battery, the only time it was charged out of the boat was at the start of the season and then in the garage during winter. The Honda kept it charged well enough that I never noticed any lack of power to run everyhting. I now use a '96 Honda 25 electric start, one battery(starting) to run AM/FM, VHF, lights when needed, F/F and the same electric downrigger. Honestly, never had a problem with lack of power.

Thank you FM was just wondering .

You get some good use from your set up. Only have one other question,what do you listen to on AM? :whistling::clapping::thumbsup_anim::canadian::Gonefishing:

Edited by misfish

640 AM, If you're blood pressure is a little low in the morning, those guys will always have some controversial subject to get you going. After 5 minutes, your blood pressure will be so high, you'll be casting a mile with that extra energy.

geez, i'm confuded...!! after all the threads, i'm still not sure what i should do..

to clarify, it a 10hp honda...MANUAL start!

anyhow, thanks for all the input... i'll figure it out somehow..

i'm in the u.s. at the moment and i was hoping to take adantage of no sales tax (New Hamshire) and excellent exchange to buy a deep cycle... not i'm not sure what is should do!! lol

With a manual start you might be able to get by with one deep cycle for the TM and electronics but some times the TM will screw up the readings on your depth sounder. I would buy 1 deep cycle with the most reserve amps that would fit in the space in the boat. If the depth sounder doesn't work right add a marine cranking battery for the electronics and run the TM off the deep cycle.

You will need to charge every time you come in to be sure and to extend the batteries lives.