A question regarding possesion vs. catch limits.

We have booked a perch trip coming up on Erie. The daily catch limit in our case is 50 Perch with the proper license. As I understand it the possession limit is 100 perch. A few read the regulations for Erie as one can have a full possession limit at their place of residence and that includes temporary residence i.e. cottage rental. How does one transfer the properly and easily identified fish from the temporary residence to the permanent residence without being in violation of the regulations in so far as one will have 100 perch? Maybe. The same would go for any other species. I say I can only transport my daily catch limit, the others in the group disagree. I bow to the members here and their informed opinion and expertise. My email and voicemail to the Ministry remains unanswered.

I also told the crew once you start counting Chickens before they hatch is bad luck especially when talking about fish limits before they are caught!!!!

Thanks all,

Johnny Di.

There is no violation unless you transport the fish before a complete 24 hour period has elapsed. You get to the cottage Friday at 4pm, start fishing catch up to your 50 fish. Next day you do the same, go home Sunday. Number one thing to keep handy if you ever get stopped is a receipt for the rental outlining the days you were there. Make sure you keep the fish or fillets easily countable, not in one great big lump, check the regs for that too.

Bottom left of page 7 of 2015 regs answers my own question, in clear English, I'm glad I don't make bets.

" The possession limit is the number you are allowed to have in your possession on hand. in cold storage, in transit, or anywhere. Possession limits are the same as one days catch limit except where otherwise specified."

I don't read anywhere where it talks about the definition of residence, it now says "in transit or anywhere." It would be up to you to prove you didn't catch them all in 1 day I guess. There are all kinds of scenarios that would be tough to prove they weren't all caught in 1 day. I.E. I own a cruiser and I have 100 perch on board per person with a license. That's a topic for Winternet, thankfully it's fishing season. Making dropshot rigs tonight.

Note: The possession limit for Perch in zone 19 has changed this year. 50 fish catch limit for perch per day and 100 for possession limit with Sport Fishing License Tag.

Thanks all.

Take pics on your trips too.

Ive had COs pull us over on sawbill crappie fishing. And he didnt believe my son had caught some(hes also status indian)

We had two fish over our limits(if my son was not native)

So I showed him the pictures of my son catching fish and that was that.

Just to add he was a very polite officer

I think that's why for the most part it is now one day's possession versus the old 2 days possession that was the norm not that long ago.

Now (for the most part) if you have 1 fish over the daily limit they don't have worry about someone claiming some of the fish are from the previous day.