Yet another Nipissing report

We departed Stoney Creek Thursday around 7am and arrived at Cozy Cove Cottages in the Deep Water Point area around 1:30pm. After unpacking our gear, having our first beer and launching the boats we were fishing by 3:00pm. Within 2 minutes of dropping my jig I had the trips first walleye. It measured 16", just in the Nipissing slot size so back in it went. Thought this was a sign of good things to come but by 9:30pm it was my only walleye. Managed several nice sized perch which made for a nice fish fry the next day. The Uncle Bucks original tastes incredible. 2 of the 3 others in our group had 5 or 6 walleye between them that were just under the slot limit and a few more that were within it. They too had a few perch.

Throughout the 3 days we found many spots out in 25 to 40 feet of water where we marked scattered walleye but few takers. We then noticed all the shad larvae shells on the surface. An early hatch due to the heat made walleye fishing tough this year. I didn't manage another until late on the last day. Got 2 more and a small pike as well. First one in probably 3 years.

The highlight was around 5pm on our last evening (Saturday) when we found a school of perch. The bite was hot for about a half an hour. When the school moved, we moved with it. For about 3 hours we caught perch steadily and ended up with 45 between 2 of us. When we started there were no other boats within view. We threw out a marker buoy and thanks to the lack of wind, boat control was easy. It wasn't long before there were about 15 boats in the area. I could see they managed the odd perch and further away some were catching the occasional walleye. A few appeared frustrated.

Being on top of the school was the difference for us. 10 feet in any direction and you were off. Wasn' t the walleye we went up there for but it sure was fun for a few hours.

In total 4 guys over 3 days caught about 20 walleye, aproximately half were keepers and well over 100 perch. We ate too much and drank even more. Can't wait 'til next year.

Our hosts Bud and Linda were very courteous and the cottage was more than adequate.

The heat and humidity on the water was almost unbearable. My picture taking skills leave much to be desired but I've posted a few anyway.

HG

med_gallery_183_209_26449.jpg

med_gallery_183_209_47193.jpg

med_gallery_183_209_3448.jpg

Edited by huey graphite

I too can handle another Nipissing report since I'll be heading to Lakair in a few short weeks for the first time! Congrats on your walleye...those are some FAT perch too! You made the best out of a not-so-perfect situation and had a great time at it. That's what it's all about! Congrats!

ahh, you were the guys in the lund going wild on the perch!

lol, we were in the Tracker not too far away...managed a couple of walleye, but not much else that night. man it was hot...

I need to get some OFC gear and stickers for the boat. I think I recall seeing the Tracker.

Earlier in the day we were stopped in the same area by the OPP and searched for all the safety gear. They were friendly but got down to business quickly then moved on.

The day before there were some rental boats from the Waltonian in the area with fisherman enjoying a brown pop or two. They were very lucky the OPP weren't there a day earlier.