Fishing in the Winnipeg/Thunder Bay area ??

tizfun

Hey all, I will be driving to Winnipeg on Monday for work. I'm thinking about bringing the rod and some tackle as I will also be in Thunder Bay for a couple days.. Now my Question ? What's open up that way ? and can anyone give me some ideas of where to fish from shore ??

This will be my first time up that way and so looking forward to it.

Thanks in advance..

Tiz

If your in Winnipeg for a stop over, go to Lockport. It is famous for Channel Catfish. I have caught many 30+ pounders there. Great fight and quite easy to catch. Use a big weight (3 oz or heavier) about 18" ahead of a big strong hook. For best results use cut bait, or stop at the local Safeway and grab some frozen shrimp.

Cast out and get the weight caught on bottom, from shore tighten line and watch rod tip. Allow the fish to spool some line prior to hookset. The river flows fairly fast so be ready for a real battle.

There are many species of fish there (walleyes, sauger, sheephead) and have caught trophy Walleye there in the fall (11 3/4 lb.)

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Cheers,

DaveFullSizeRender.jpg

Edited by DaveRoach

If you drive through fort frances let me know

Lotsa good fishing to be had up the road. Im in pinewood ontario.

It is about a 50 minute detour though,

But you can gain that time back if you go states side on route to winnipeg

Edited by manitoubass2

Hey all, thanks for the replies and info... It's been a busy 3 days so far and haven't had time to wet a line out here.. I've made it to Nipigon since leaving Toronto on Monday... No time again to wet a line here but will have some time tomorrow as we're calling it an early day and continuing our trek west..

I will be in the areas of NIBLOCK or OSAQUAN tomorrow... These are the town names I guess... Any areas to fish from shore here ???

Will also in Manitoba (Winnipeg) and the town names are RENNE and OAK BANK on Friday afternoon...

Thanks in advance.... Hope anyone can help...lol

Season isn't open until Saturday the 9th. Rennie is in the Whiteshell area ( about an hour east of Winnipeg) lots of lakes to try. Oakbank is just north of Winnipeg. Only real fishing opportunity close by would be the Red River or Lake Winnipeg.