Changes Proposed to the Walleye Fishery on Lake Scugog

pooch

I went to the meeting. my opinion is the decision is already made and it was just a way to formally include the public.

Many questions were not answered and they just directed us to write to the email they provided. I believe they do not know the cause of the walleye decline. They knew of the decline back in 2011 and did nothing about it. one of the suggestions from the MNR was even if the lake was closed for walleye they still wanted to see how it would balance out before doing anything. how much longer are they going to wait? who really knows

many good questions raised from the audience including a few from myself and as mentioned not really a whole lot of answers provided.

pretty certain stocking is not in the equation by the sounds of it. as for the spawning habitats etc they couldn't say what they would be doing to improve the habitats if anything at all at this time.

the creel survey from this winter showed only 73 walleye caught and just 2 harvested. lol sorta laughable. yes the trend was consistent from year to year but pretty sad to say only 2 walleye harvested all of 2015 ice fishing season.

the overall attendance was pretty good with the majority actually being local people from the community which was good to see.

we will have to wait and see what decision they will make for the 2016 season

Two is not the total number of walleye harvested this past winter season on Lake Scugog. Two is the total number of walleye harvested and recorded by the creel survey team. The creel survey team doesn't record all catches, only a sample.

Edited by redsfishin

just an fyi I don't think anyone would agree with the numbers they provided for the 2015 ice fishing season. I was just pointing out the fact that those were the MNRF's official numbers for the 2015 on lake scugog with regards to walleye fishing this past winter

Edited by Lunkerhunter

they had several people out between 7 am and 5 PM conducting the creel survey , 40 of the 60 days of the ice fishing season in fact.

Maybe they can hold a meeting every month to tell us there is no fish.

Lots of places have fish to catch why not just do what they are doing. If we had enough good lakes each lake would share the fishing pressure.

I agree with Lunkerhunter about a decision being already made. I felt that at the meeting I went to about proposed changes to FMZ 17 in the past.

Most of the walleye are caught after 5pm on Scugog, it might have been an eye opener for them if they did the creel after 5pm. I know they aren't permitted on the ice after dark, but then what good is the creel?

I believe we have to start thinking outside the box and look at successes in the states or other provinces.

Otherwise it is what it is. A lake that can't handle the fishing pressure and other changes hat it has experienced.