Help appraising some older trolling gear I came across

Bondar

My boss has some old salmon gear sitting around and I was asked if I was interested in it. Now I know absolutely nothing about trolling other than its incredibly boring for me. But I figure it would be OK once in awhile if I had nothing else to do. Any how maybe you guys can give me an idea of what this stuff is worth and fair to offer IMG_20150407_175427_zpsyy9u2102.jpgIMG_20150407_175049_zpskuigtbsn.jpgIMG_20150407_175031_zps4vmjrtkg.jpgIMG_20150407_175017_zpsz2cdzro4.jpg

Well the silver sharks retail for about $70-80 new, the black balls for around $30. The first pic, walker swivel, around $60. Last pic, Shimano TDR downrigging rods, around $35 new, the one Shimano TR 200 reel, about $80 new. The Walker downriggers, no idea.

Hmmm,

If your boss just wants to 'get rid' of the stuff cause it's just laying around, and you want to 'steal' it and mess around with trolling;

Whole package with 2 Walker downriggers with swivel bases, $300-350

Whole package with 1 Walker downrigger with swivel base, $250-300

The Walkers were 1st gen manufactured in Mexico & are somewhat prone to motor burnout. If listed on Spoonpullers, he could probably part everything out & get upwards of $500+ but if he's asking you, he probably doesn't want the hassle. If those chrome sharks are more than 10 lbs, I'd be leary of running them on those Walkers. If they are12 lbs, I'd offer you $60 for the pair.

If you're not interested in purchasing the package, I certainly would be ;)

Fishermans quotes are a bit higher than mine. The cannon balls go for $10.00 to $15.00 each and the nice fish shaped cannon balls 20 to 25 bucks. The manual downrigger with $30-$40. The rods $25.00 each. None of the stuff is really collectable, just used.

The only guys that think long line trolling is boring are the ones sitting back watching someone else do all the searching for fish on the electronics, rigging, setting lines, retrieving planner boards, pulling in 12 colours of lead core, choosing and changing bait etc. etc.. I guarantee you it's not boring if you are doing all the work, especially with manual downriggers and planner boards. Come on out with me, you are most welcome anytime and if you still thinks it's boring I concede. When I was the passenger I thought it was boring as hell myself, I called it going for a boat ride.

Pikeslayer, at those prices we have all sorts of stuff for you to buy. There was many manuals for sale at the fishing swap meet in Hamilton a few Saturdays past for less than $50.00, my pal was looking for 1 to make a planner board set up with one. I don't know about the electrical downrigger though.

and the nice fish shaped cannon balls 20 to 25 bucks.

If the owner will sell them for this price that OLD IRON MAN is saying, I,ll take them. That would be a steal of a price.

The original Walkers are fool proof. Made in Canada/Collingwood. We deburred/tumbled out, the releases at our plant back 20+ years ago.

Edited by Brian B

This stuff isn't for sale, well except to me for now lol I'm just looking at putting something together cheap cause it will rarely get use , they are 10lb sharks

Edited by Bondar

The first time seeing this thread the reels didn't show. Rod and reel $40.00, I know that for a fact because that is what I paid at the swap meet, asking 75. I paid 10 each for the black cannon balls.

Yes they are electric, my bad, sorry. $225.00 for the lot is fair, it all adds up.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Pikeslayer, at those prices we have all sorts of stuff for you to buy. There was many manuals for sale at the fishing swap meet in Hamilton a few Saturdays past for less than $50.00, my pal was looking for 1 to make a planner board set up with one. I don't know about the electrical downrigger though.

Hey there Old One ;)

I've done my fair share of buying & 'stealing' trolling gear, just ask Spincast :). I'm the proverbial 'picker' ;). If the OP can pick up the package at suggested prices (especially at the lower end) it is definitely a steal and he'll more than get his money's worth. As mentioned, it would be easy to part that package out on Spoonpullers & profit ~ $200. Especially with the price of gear increased due to the CA $$$ these days.

As an aside, my Walkers are coming up to 25 yrs old. Built right here in Ontario with GM Caddy power window motors. BULLET PROOF!! I wouldn't trade them for any other DR on the market.

BTW, nice to make your acquaintance :)

Slayer

If the owner will sell them for this price that OLD IRON MAN is saying, I,ll take them. That would be a steal of a price.

The original Walkers are fool proof. Made in Canada/Collingwood. We deburred/tumbled out, the releases at our plant back 20+ years ago.

Think I beat you by a full 9 minutes bud ;)

Hey there Old One ;)

I've done my fair share of buying & 'stealing' trolling gear, just ask Spincast :). I'm the proverbial 'picker' ;). If the OP can pick up the package at suggested prices (especially at the lower end) it is definitely a steal and he'll more than get his money's worth. As mentioned, it would be easy to part that package out on Spoonpullers & profit ~ $200. Especially with the price of gear increased due to the CA $$$ these days.

As an aside, my Walkers are coming up to 25 yrs old. Built right here in Ontario with GM Caddy power window motors. BULLET PROOF!! I wouldn't trade them for any other DR on the market.

BTW, nice to make your acquaintance :)

Slayer

Yup, what he said. The folks at the Niagara Spring Fishing show got to know us pretty well. 3 days of wheeling dealing and bartering, right down to the "do you take Canadian Money at par?" It was like those guys hitting the collectibles stores on the TV show- wheel and deal for every purchase. Good thing 3 days gets you $800 a person duty free coming home :) Pricing package or parting are pretty well what you see on the trolling forums (and my winter pms from the classifieds)