Cable "less" sports viewing.

mattybculp

I know there was a post a while back with regards to watching live sporting events with out having cable. We currently have a respectable cable package 3 boxes one of them hd. The truth of the matter is we simply don't watch cable tv. We have a large smart tv and between Netflix and YouTube combined with the fact we don't watch much tv in general, I can't really justify paying the amount I am ......... But I like watching sports I enjoy watching hockey and baseball, now sadly I'm a leafs fan and I didn't watch much this year because I wasn't going to waste my life tuning into that gong show, and truthfully I didn't miss it that much. I watch sportsnet and sports centre for the first couple hours at work and listen to the fan 590 religiously so I'm current with what's happening, and if it's a game of interest I can go to a buddies or my old mans. That all being said I thoroughly enjoy watching blue jays baseball I may watch 90 games a season and listen via radio to 20 others. So my main question is; is there a method out there to watch reliable, live blue jays baseball. There is apparently an mlb.net app on our Samsung smart tv. It's a 24.99 / month or 129.99 anually. Has anyone ever used it before, and what is your feedback? Or is there a device I can lay out a little more dough for and have for a longer term. ? Sorry to all those folks, who hate new posts that have relations to old posts, but I didn't know where to go to ask so I though I'd ask the fine board members here. Any information or feedback is appreciated. Thanks folks.

A lot of times those MLB TV etc. subscription packages don't let you watch games in your market, ie the blue jays. Be careful when signing up for them. I did purchase the MLB radio (cheapest) package so I could stream Jays games through the computer at work since it was actually cheaper to do that and buy cheap speakers than it was to buy a decent radio with a digital tuner, and being where I am getting reception is sketchy at best with anything less.

You sound a lot like me in my cable/TV usage, but in the end I decided it's best to tough it out if you want to watch live sports. It's really the only way TV gets you any more these days since sports is basically the only thing you can't watch on PVR.

Edited by netminder

You can get around local blackouts when using nhl gamecenter or the mlb equivalent.

For reliable cable less live sports you really need to subscribe to these services however at 99$ (or 79 if you are from soviet russia ;) ) for nhl gamecenter it is still a lot less $ than a years worth of cable bills.

We cut cable a while back and dont miss it one bit.

As for smart tvs my opinion is they are kinda dumb and you are better of getting a "dumb" tv and putting the savings to a dedicated streaming device like a roku. Smart tv software gets outdated fast and the user interfaces tend to be slow and kludgy compared to devices designed for streaming.

Edited by Raf

What kind of job do you have where you can watch sports for the first few hours, I gotta get me one of those gigs. Sorry I can't help with the question. I don't watch much sports any longer. you too netminder, I hope your bosses aren't reading this. Man I'm getting old. We weren't allowed to read the newspaper in the Pyrometer rooms on day shift.

A lot of times those MLB TV etc. subscription packages don't let you watch games in your market, ie the blue jays. Be careful when signing up for them. I did purchase the MLB radio (cheapest) package so I could stream Jays games through the computer at work since it was actually cheaper to do that and buy cheap speakers than it was to buy a decent radio with a digital tuner, and being where I am getting reception is sketchy at best with anything less.

You sound a lot like me in my cable/TV usage, but in the end I decided it's best to tough it out if you want to watch live sports. It's really the only way TV gets you any more these days since sports is basically the only thing you can't watch on PVR.

Net minder

I enjoy listening to the radio broadcasts too. One of my favourite things is to be out in the boat fishing with the game on low, or on the riding lawn mower with the headset on and a beer in my hand. I found the app "tune in radio" to be pretty good for streaming games where wifi is available and I live rural. I have rarely not been able to listen to the game through my phone when desired.

You can get around local blackouts when using nhl gamecenter or the mlb equivalent.

For reliable cable less live sports you really need to subscribe to these services however at 99$ (or 79 if you are from soviet russia ;) ) for nhl gamecenter it is still a lot less $ than a years worth of cable bills.

We cut cable a while back and dont miss it one bit.

As for smart tvs my opinion is they are kinda dumb and you are better of getting a "dumb" tv and putting the savings to a dedicated streaming device like a roku. Smart tv software gets outdated fast and the user interfaces tend to be slow and kludgy compared to devices designed for streaming.

Raf

I have also heard negative feedback from others regarding the smart tvs getting outdated and with privacy disclosure issues. I got a sweet deal on it ( door crasher on Boxing Day) it was cheaper than some of the lower resolution smaller tvs that were on sale, so I feel a little better knowing I didn't pay an astronomical amount of money for it to be smart. But in all honesty I really enjoy the smart tv, its convenient and has never let me down once.( knock on wood). I'm sure my time is coming though.

What kind of job do you have where you can watch sports for the first few hours, I gotta get me one of those gigs. Sorry I can't help with the question. I don't watch much sports any longer. you too netminder, I hope your bosses aren't reading this. Man I'm getting old. We weren't allowed to read the newspaper in the Pyrometer rooms on day shift.

Old iron maker.

I knew I was going to get a response asking that, when I made that statement lol. I own a Denture clinic. There is a tv in the waiting room, operatory, and laboratory. So I usually have cp24 on in the waiting room, patients choice on in the operatory, and sportsnet or sports centre on in the lab. So in between patients when I'm doing my lab work I will watch it, but it takes a couple hours for me to get through my desired highlights since I'm in and out seeing clients. It's one of those small reasons I decided to go into business for myself, I like the freedom of going fishing when I want to go fishing, but I can't do that with out working hard while I'm in there.

if you have unlimited high speed internet I would look at andriod TV. I do not have it and can not get it because of my limited internet feed but they had it at the cottage show and it looked really interesting

if you have unlimited high speed internet I would look at andriod TV. I do not have it and can not get it because of my limited internet feed but they had it at the cottage show and it looked really interesting

Hmmm that's interesting. I do have unlimited high speed internet. Living in the country it's impressive the internet quality and how cheap it is. I was blown away when I found out. But I will have to do some research on these android tvs. Thanks for the info.

You can get it all almost free streaming with an android box or roku. You need some tech savvy and a dedicated PC to do it. Tons of info out there. You may have to give up hd. I cut cable over a year ago and pay for NBA and NFL but am thinking next year of not paying for NFL. You can get around blackout on mlb service with unblockus service or something similar.

Mattyculp, I hear you, nice to be the boss, sometimes. I have to confess I also had a nice HD with surround system in my office after I retired from Ironmaking. So I'm guilty as well. Sometimes the thing was stuck on CNN or Bell radio but just the din of sound helped me get my stuff done easier. Too quiet bothers me. It took a while to get used to the deafening silence after 30 years of sirens, horns, rail cars coupling and the whoosh of relief valves purging air.

I don't know the title of the thread but there was a good discussion regarding streaming video and alternates to Satellite and cable here on the site. I learned much reading that. I don't have enough band width with my sat system apparently. If I can find it I will post the link for you.

My brother installed a digital antenna 40 ft off the ground and he is getting 60 channels ABSOLUTLY free. His cost in the antenna and the proper amplifier (100 mile radius) was just under $300us. This is in the Cleveland market. I can't imagine what you could get from your area, but I think there is a web site that can determine what channels you can get from your postal code. He will get maybe 40 Indians games this year and he will get a few Cavs games. Which sucks so why did I just type all that....... Anyway! Cheap TV is out there!

Not watch, listen. Just something in the background. No more distracting than listening to podcasts or even just regular music radio. Not that even watching the odd mid-week afternoon baseball game would be all that distracting anyway. It's not like you really need to pay attention to baseball lol. That being said, when I take work home with me I always have the game on while sitting at the dining room table anyway.

Edited by netminder

I use an android box as most here know. For quality hockey I use hockeystreams.com I can see it all and not just the NHL. It is also reasonably priced. They also show PPV's like UFC etc. all for one price.

Simply open the web browser on your android box login and watch the game.our use their app.... You can also watch on your mobile phone or computer.... Anywhere you have Internet access reall

I'm sure something similar exists for mlb.

If you have any questions about the box feel free to send me a pm.

G

Edited by Gerritt

I know there was a post a while back with regards to watching live sporting events with out having cable. We currently have a respectable cable package 3 boxes one of them hd. The truth of the matter is we simply don't watch cable tv. We have a large smart tv and between Netflix and YouTube combined with the fact we don't watch much tv in general, I can't really justify paying the amount I am ......... But I like watching sports I enjoy watching hockey and baseball, now sadly I'm a leafs fan and I didn't watch much this year because I wasn't going to waste my life tuning into that gong show, and truthfully I didn't miss it that much. I watch sportsnet and sports centre for the first couple hours at work and listen to the fan 590 religiously so I'm current with what's happening, and if it's a game of interest I can go to a buddies or my old mans. That all being said I thoroughly enjoy watching blue jays baseball I may watch 90 games a season and listen via radio to 20 others. So my main question is; is there a method out there to watch reliable, live blue jays baseball. There is apparently an mlb.net app on our Samsung smart tv. It's a 24.99 / month or 129.99 anually. Has anyone ever used it before, and what is your feedback? Or is there a device I can lay out a little more dough for and have for a longer term. ? Sorry to all those folks, who hate new posts that have relations to old posts, but I didn't know where to go to ask so I though I'd ask the fine board members here. Any information or feedback is appreciated. Thanks folks.

The MLB tv premium package that's $129 a season allows you to watch every televised game from spring training to game 7 of the World Series. You also get the MLB at bat app for your smart phone and can listen to every game broadcasted.

FishNAutographs : Do you use the mlb tv premium package ? The only concern I have, which I read is with regards to local black outs on games. The only games I'm interested in watching is the blue jays game. Does signing up a paying more for the premium package eliminate local blackouts?

On our smart tv we have an American ip address so we can get American Netflix and we have a Canadian ip address on our ipad so we can watch Canadian Netflix as well, we just prefer the selection of the American Netflix and have it registered on our big screen. So I'm curious to ask you folks if I have an American ip address on my smart tv, do you think that would avoid local blackouts since its an American Ip address? Maybe the New York area games would be blacked out since its registering an American ip address. I'm not very tech savvy.

Gerritt:

Thanks for the info, I'm starting to do some research on these android boxes, do you have preferred brand name of android box? if you wish not to post that here I would be happy to communicate via PM. Im hoping if I do go the way of an android box, I can have an experienced tech install, set up, and show us how to use it properly. Is there a service, or location you could suggest on where to purchase them? or did you just buy it on line an to do it yourself ?

FishNAutographs : Do you use the mlb tv premium package ? The only concern I have, which I read is with regards to local black outs on games. The only games I'm interested in watching is the blue jays game. Does signing up a paying more for the premium package eliminate local blackouts?

On our smart tv we have an American ip address so we can get American Netflix and we have a Canadian ip address on our ipad so we can watch Canadian Netflix as well, we just prefer the selection of the American Netflix and have it registered on our big screen. So I'm curious to ask you folks if I have an American ip address on my smart tv, do you think that would avoid local blackouts since its an American Ip address? Maybe the New York area games would be blacked out since its registering an American ip address. I'm not very tech savvy.

Gerritt:

Thanks for the info, I'm starting to do some research on these android boxes, do you have preferred brand name of android box? if you wish not to post that here I would be happy to communicate via PM. Im hoping if I do go the way of an android box, I can have an experienced tech install, set up, and show us how to use it properly. Is there a service, or location you could suggest on where to purchase them? or did you just buy it on line an to do it yourself ?

If you live in Ontario or most of the US there is not black out in effect. I've used the MLB package everywhere I go and i haven't had a problem. The premium package allows you to see every game, both home and away feeds in HD plus gives you the option of watching on all formats - tv, laptop, iPad etc and allows you to listen to all the games through your mobile device. The regular package gives on only standard definition and you will only get the home team feeds. If you just want to listen to the games get the at bat app. It's $25 for the whole season

I've been streaming basketball off nba-stream.com. It's pretty brutal actually, in terms of quality on a big screen. But doable on a computer.

I got a digital antenna a few weeks ago and get 11 channels in Toronto... CTV, CITY, GLOBAL, CBC, TVO, CHCH, etc..

The best investment since my cable cutting has been a Chromecast. You can cast almost anything from your device to your tv. If you have a galaxy, there's an app called showbox which is pretty good for free content. That and netflix and queuing up fishing youtube video's is more than enough tv for me.

I'm going to miss throwing the jays game on in the background, hopefully there's a solution I can find next week (streaming it).

XBMC now called Kodi is not a perfect science having said that it does work and I am biased towards a windows based laptop with KODI, if you have a laptop just download KODI 14.2 and try it out to see how you like it then look into a box. There are loads of them on the market some good some not so good!

Phoenix works well as does Sportsdevil, AAA streams VDUB are very good as well, I don`t miss my expensive cable packages!

Lots of info on KODI (XBMC) on youtube and the internet!