Best Battery Charger.

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

I just fried 2 moto master battery charger and couldn't find the bill. Went to buy yet another one. This one was on special. Though it seems it takes for ever to charge. What is the best battery chargers. Nautilus, Xps(at bass pro),ect and how long should it take to charge a battery???

How did you fry the chargers?

Battery charging is a function of how depleted the battery is and at what rate you are charging. A group 27 battery at 90AH capacity should charge from dead in about 9 hours at 10A. However, a good charger will slow the charge down to about 2A after the battery reaches 80-90% recharge so mathimatically you could expect the whole process to take from 13-17 hours.

It all depends on what charger you get, some charge faster than others, I think mine goes at 20a, than 10a at half way and then trickles at 2a for the last 10%. I would get a good on-board charger they work just as good out of the boat but you always have the option to hook it up in your boat if you have a plug where you park your boat.

I got a guest 20 amp 2 bank charger, charges both my batteries from dead in about 5-6 hours and then automatically stays on trickle untill you turn the charger off.

here's a good deal on here, that would charge 2 batteries overnight no problem.

OFC classifieds

Guest Johnny Bass

20 AMp charger? Mine has an option for rapid charge 30 AMps. When I switch to it, the battery charges to 100% in less than 5 minutes. <_<

Though if I reconnect it at 2 amps its back down again!

Gbay giant. What kind of charger do you have and how much did you pay for it????

5-6 hours sounds sweet!

Its ok to recharge your starting battery at 20A, but don't charge a true deep cycle at over 10A. 20A is ok if you have two batteries connected together.

JB, your battery is not likely charging to 100% its probably showing that the charging voltage is over 12.8 when set to 30A. Doesn't mean its charged to 100% just means the charging voltage being applied is equal to or over what the battery would display as 100%.

Try and find a charger with an automatic function. It will know how much power is left in the battery, and charge the battery according to that. If its really low, it will start with a 10A charge, then once its over half way, go to the 2A charge. Generally, slower charge is better with a true deep cycle battery.

I have a nautilus, with the auto function. It will adjust as it charges the battery, and shut off once its fully charged. If I leave it connected to the charger and the battery loses some juice, it will start back up and trickle charge to a full charge again. Never had a problem with my batteries, and they're going on season 6 now.......and just the same as new.

I always like to charge mine on 2A, as long as time permits. I think its better for a longer battery life, but my charger, on auto, starts on 10A if the battery is low, then changes to 2A after its about 3/4 charged. It has a manual setting as well, so I can charge it on 2A if I want, and I have the time.

Mine is charged fully overnight....not really sure how long it takes, but its good to go in the morning from dead......

Sinker

Edited by Sinker

Well I might of got ahead of myself saying 5-6hours, I'm not 100% positive. :D but no more than 8 hours for sure, I know that because I fish all day, charge them at night after fishing, sleep 7-8hours and they are ready for the morning.

I got basically the same as the add I linked above but it is a "Guest". Boatman is right I just looked at mine again it is 20amp but only 10amps per battery when they are both hooked up then it automatically trickles near the end, slower charge the better for deep cell.(trolling batteries)

And they say you should never run you batteries completely till there dead either, but I have and the charger still charged them in 7-8h, cause they have always been ready in the morning after a day of fishing.

But if you have days where you don't have 7-8 hours to wait then a extra set of batteries would come in handy.

Guest Johnny Bass
Its ok to recharge your starting battery at 20A, but don't charge a true deep cycle at over 10A. 20A is ok if you have two batteries connected together.

JB, your battery is not likely charging to 100% its probably showing that the charging voltage is over 12.8 when set to 30A. Doesn't mean its charged to 100% just means the charging voltage being applied is equal to or over what the battery would display as 100%.

Actaully it says 100% charge complete, in less than 5 minutes. :wallbash: Probably ebvven less than 2 minutes. It goes up a percente every few seconds. So obviously something is wrong with it.

And sometimes I'll connect it and it will shows 8888 like there is an error or something. I wanted to buy the nautilus but chose this one because it has the booster cables also.

Next time I charge it will be on 2amp, though it was over an hour and it only went up 1%!!!!!!

I find that strange!

JB, your quick charge setting is for starting batteries only. Don't use that setting on a deep cycle battery.

Do you have a switch on the charger for deep cycle/starting batteries? Make sure its on deep cycle setting.

I had a moto master charger, and it also fried on me. It had the boost setting too for starting your car. It was ok, as long as it was on the deep cycle setting and set at 2A charge.

I fried it boosting a lawn tractor.....it caught on fire....LOL...

Sinker

It sounds to me like the Motomaster chargers you guys have used are automotive chargers. Those are not meant for deep cycle batteries and may destroy your batteries. Sounds like you are all on the right track now. Charging at 2A is fine, but its good to charge at a higher rate (10A) as well. Charging at 10A to start helps eliminate sulphation (coating of the plates), which decrease electrical flow.

I also should have clarified that 13-17 hours is the max time it shold take based on mathimatics. You can't actually draw every amp out of a battery so charge time will be less than the mathimatically derived max.

Guest Johnny Bass

Sinker. I dont think so. It has 2am,10 or 12 amp and 30amp rapid charge, and it has an 80 amp for starting.

And yes, I am charging on deep cycle.

I have no Idea why mine friend. I think I charged the battery to close to the charger. I think the batteyr fumes may have fried it. There was a funny smell and smoke coming out of the charger. :wallbash:

And a few minutes before that I burned the toaster oven(food caught on fire) and when I was connecting the charger, I thought to my self I had a bad feeling about this. Sure enough, I went to go check and It weas frying.

Boatman, the moto master Battery had a deep cycle battery setting.

Another theory is that I had the Garage door closed. Apparently the room in which you charge has to be ventilated. I now keep the Garage door open.

Thats the problem with charging over night. I have to keep the garage door open all night....

Guest lundboy

I have the (CTC) Nautilus Marine $99.99, it's actually made by Schumacher who are experts at making chargers.

Easiest way to fry an electronic switching type charger is to plug it in to a circuit that doesn't have enough power or by using a long extension cord that is too thin (and never use a power inverter on a charger). This happened to mine 2 weeks ago at Pickerel Park off of a campsite AC outlet. I took it back to CTC with the bill, it had a 5 year warranty and they replaced it. It had worked fine for 2 years up till then.

http://store.schumachermart.com/ssc-1500a.html

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_...fromSearch=true

Some tips from Schumacher on charging:

When should I use a 2-amp, 10-amp, 12-amp, or 15-amp charge rate?

This depends on how fast you want to charge your battery and the size of the actual battery you are charging. The higher the amp setting, the faster your battery will charge. For smaller batteries like lawn/tractors and motorcycles, we suggest a 2-amp charge rate, as higher charge rates may create a dangerous condition. Check your battery specifications for the charge rate. Certain batteries like deep-cycle batteries with a Group Size of 27 or higher may require a 12-amp charge rate or higher to be charged.

Why doesn't my battery charger shut off in the 2-amp position when charging my vehicle or deep-cycle battery?

The 2-amp charge rate is intended for small batteries such as motorcycles, snowmobiles and lawn garden tractors. Consequently, when trying to charge a larger battery at that rate, it will take a very long time and the battery may discharge at a greater rate than the 2-amp charge can provide. It is best to charge at a higher charge rate like 6-amps, 10-amps or higher.

Why does my deep-cycle battery overheat when my charger is in the deep-cycle setting?

Some deep-cycles batteries on the market will not sustain 15+ volt settings. If during charging the battery begins to emit gas, or if the battery becomes warm, use the Regular Battery Setting. This will better maintain the battery’s life.

Edited by lundboy

Guest Johnny Bass
I have the (CTC) Nautilus Marine $99.99, it's actually made by Schumacher who are experts at making chargers.

Easiest way to fry an electronic switching type charger is to plug it in to a circuit that doesn't have enough power or by using a long extension cord that is too thin (and never use a power inverter on a charger). This happened to mine 2 weeks ago at Pickerel Park off of a campsite AC outlet. I took it back to CTC with the bill, it had a 5 year warranty and they replaced it. It had worked fine for 2 years up till then.

http://store.schumachermart.com/ssc-1500a.html

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_...fromSearch=true

Some tips from Schumacher on charging:

When should I use a 2-amp, 10-amp, 12-amp, or 15-amp charge rate?

This depends on how fast you want to charge your battery and the size of the actual battery you are charging. The higher the amp setting, the faster your battery will charge. For smaller batteries like lawn/tractors and motorcycles, we suggest a 2-amp charge rate, as higher charge rates may create a dangerous condition. Check your battery specifications for the charge rate. Certain batteries like deep-cycle batteries with a Group Size of 27 or higher may require a 12-amp charge rate or higher to be charged.

Why doesn't my battery charger shut off in the 2-amp position when charging my vehicle or deep-cycle battery?

The 2-amp charge rate is intended for small batteries such as motorcycles, snowmobiles and lawn garden tractors. Consequently, when trying to charge a larger battery at that rate, it will take a very long time and the battery may discharge at a greater rate than the 2-amp charge can provide. It is best to charge at a higher charge rate like 6-amps, 10-amps or higher.

Why does my deep-cycle battery overheat when my charger is in the deep-cycle setting?

Some deep-cycles batteries on the market will not sustain 15+ volt settings. If during charging the battery begins to emit gas, or if the battery becomes warm, use the Regular Battery Setting. This will better maintain the battery’s life.

Bill Nye??? is that you? LOL. WOW. What an Informative post. Thanks for taking the time to post it!

This Charger has one more weekend before I bring it back. I wanna see if it charges if I keep it on 2amps over night.