Need some ice advice

Shloim

Ok, so I've decided to take a day next week and possibly take my kids ice fishing. I'm assuming there will still be safe ice available. Simcoe is closest so I'm looking for a point of entry that's easy and not too far of a walk that will produce. I know its a tall list but necessary for me to keep certain kids interested, otherwise it might be torturous... I'm open for suggestions and we are not picky about what we catch... Thoughts and suggestions folks? Thanks in advance!

Given the temperatures I would not assume anything especially when children are involved...remember that dufus from a couple years ago that had kids on Simcoe and had to be rescued...just saying!!!

Ice conditions change fast this time of year...

Edited by lookinforwalleye

There is 1-2 feet of slush on cooks bay right now and ive heard that willow and virginia beach are the same, im guessing a lot of the lake is like that now. Their should still be lots of ice underneath but its rough travelling

I was out on Monday afternoon in Sandy Cove, when the thaw was starting, and there was still 20+" of ice. That said, shore was already getting slushed up and I would guess that by today the water will be pooling near shore.

I was up in Barrie last night by the Lakeshore, and took a few steps out. If you made a point of avoiding the snowmobile/truck/fourwheeler tracks, it was still pretty solid on top. Huts still out on the ice.

That said, I'd exercise extreme caution now, as I was out both Saturday and Monday and definitely noticed cracks widening the ice sagging a bit near shore, and the temps were still under 5C at that point.