fishing vs. marriage vs. children

ricoboxing

:Gonefishing: After the kids grow up & move out you'll be a fishin agin. I fish as often as I want, (I'm old) The grandkids go sometimes, if their good, the wife goes sometimes, if shes good, I go good or bad, that the benefit of gettin old. :clapping::clapping::clapping:

I used to fish about once every 2 weeks. Then I got a job and a girlfriend and two kids...

now, life is pretty much this through the year....

about 150 days of work.

about 150 days with the family.

about 65-75 days fishing.

Math is a little off, but it's give or take.

Hmmm...when I was a kid (under 10), I fished maybe 4 times a year...only at a friend of my parents cottage. Then when I was a teenager I fished maybe 2 times. In my 20's I fished one time. When I got married, bought a house and had a child we didn't fish at all until last year. Now, with our 15 year old being a built in babysitter, bly and I get out about 4 to 5 times a week...LOL

When I was a kid (5 years old) standing on the dock in Mattawa, Ont...I got a fish hook in the head. Turned me off of fishing for the next 40 years.

aaahhhhh YES...Mattawa,,,now there's a scenic place to fish. (Just talking to myself)

If you can get out...do it...if you can't...well you can't...maybe tomorrow...just don't blame the kids, don't blame the wife...

When I was single, I was fishing whenever I felt like going fishing. Not too often, not too much, but I was going.

Then, when I met her, we were fishing together, almost weekly, and she seemed quite enthusiastic about, except for removing the fish from hook or cleaning it. It was great times and she always caught the largest one. I tought it as a good sign. I still remeber how happy she was when I bought her own fishing rod and spinner, on her BDay.

Marriage came along, and all of a sudden fishing became a big "no-no!": too much money, too much time wasted, why don't you learn instead to install hardwood flooring or renovate the master bathroom? (I'm a freaking computer dude, bunny. The fact that you saw me once planting a tree, or fixing the fence doesn't make me Mr Handy Man, 'mkay?)

Today, I fish an average of 5 times a week; that says all about my marriage, I guess :clapping: ...

Little piece of advice - when the better half tries to rob this little hapiness from you, be reasonable and tell her that a vice always gets replaced by another: you're ready to give up fishing for say...humm... gambling?... or womanizing?

If she's smart, she'll buy you a new set of lures. Fishing lures.

Ya marriage slowed down the angling for some years but now its coming back into full swing.When the kids were young it was hard to get away as the diaper stage came to an end things got easier.I take 4 to 5 long weekends per year and the wife is cool with it, 2 trips in May.She flipped when I payed $5000 for my first boat but really flipped over what I paid for my Lund .She has calmed down since the kids come out with Dad.

The great thing is my 8 year old son is into fishing bigtime he endures 12 hour days with ease.He is almost as crazy about it as me and sometimes outfishes his old man.

There are days when I visit my Dads camp in Lancaster Ontario 3hrs fishing of the dock with my three kids non stop action and I have to tell the kids I have had enough.Non stop taking fish off there lines rebaiting the hooks and picture taking believe me my Rod just sits there on the ground.

Now that my kids are 8,10 and 12 fishing trips are great.

My wife is easy going as long as I am up to date on my to do list.Like someone says comprimise is the key.

During the week is not very possible due to soccer 4 nights a week but sometimes I get out for the evening.

Camping trips for me now have to include fishing ,from shore boat or canoe as long as I can get out.

So for me its just getting better I am just trying to figure out how to tell her that I want a new boat something more equipped :whistling: and more$$$$$$$$.

Great thread.Mike the Pike

Edited by Mike the Pike

Guess i am lucky, when i was single i fishing 4/5 times a week then i got married and that fell off to maybe 1 a week ( hmmmm, oh ya fishing :unsure: )

since the kids love to fish, i fish more now, soooo great time spent with my kids and get to fish too. win win.

bb

Well I fished constantly when I was a kid.I would spend the summers with my grandfather at his trailer on Kennebec lake and I was in my canoe all day every day.When I got old enough to work , money beer and girls took a huge bite out of my fishing time.Fishing was something I done once in a while and usally involved beer and girls.Then I got married to a great women like fishergirl.I had to narrow down my hobbies and intrests as I was into way too much.So I narrowed it down to fishing and hunting.I now fish alot and have kids that love to go out as well.My wife dosen't tell me I can't do this or I have to do that.But I also don't skip out on important stuff with the kids or her.She doesn't care what I buy as long as the bills are paid and the kids have what they need.So I would have to say I got luck and landed a good woman.

I do more fishing now than ever.

Wes

LOL, I had fishing put into the marrige contract.

I had been fishing since I was 5, my wife gets sea sick at red lobester so she hates it. Compromise one day family one day fishing

After our first kid, I went every 2 weeks one day and have stuck roughly to that schedule roughly ever since.

When our second was under negotiation I said, I still need to have my decompress time.. took a couple months of thinking but she agreed.

So far so good,. now the next issue will be when all the kids come fishing with me :) that could be considered a family day :)