what do i need in my boat?

ch312

i have a 12 or 14 foot aluminum boat thats likely going to have an old 18hp outboard on it for now. what do i need to have in the boat so i dont get into any trouble if i get stopped?

im hoping to get it out next weekend to see if the outboard is up to par before hitting long point. :thumbsup_anim:

Bailing bucket, noise making device, 15M throw rope, oars OR an anchor, PFD for each passenger, waterproof flashlight (with batteries in it and it works) don't work fine applies!

Vessel licence is also required for anything over 9.9 and you have to be able to show it.

Fine's are ass backwards.

$300 or more for not producing a vessel licence

$250 or more for not having a boater operators card

$200 for not having a PFD for each person.

Edited by irishfield

NOpe...just make a point of being informed. Just pisses me off that the most important thing is the cheapest fine...which only proves it's all a cash grab on the things you're most likely not to have in the boat. Nothing to do with safety!

"$300 or more for not producing a vessel licence"

What are we talking about here, the numbers on the side of the boat?

I don't carry any paper license, at least I don't think I do. I'll have to check now, you got me thinking.

Edited by Deano

PFD's for everyone .... better still if they are actually worn.

For the boat's license, although the registration numbers and such are on the boat itself, I also have a photocopy of the registration and insurance policy in the boat. Not sure if these are the regs in Canada, but on my size boat, I think it is required here in PA.

Yes, the one that lists the vessel numbers, has the HIN(hull ident number) and basic owner info. I got one of the small waterproof plastic containers with photocopies of the vessel licence, boaters card, outdoors card, driver licence, it stays hidden in the boat, if I forget the wallet in the truck, at least I have something to show.

"$300 or more for not producing a vessel licence"

What are we talking about here, the numbers on the side of the boat?

I don't carry any paper license, at least I don't think I do. I'll have to check now, you got me thinking.

I made a photocopy of my ownership/registration and laminated it to keep it dry.

I keep the original at home and the copy in a storage compartment on the boat.

Yes Deano! You MUST produce your actual vessel licence when asked for it by the OPP. It can be a good photo copy..no different than you can with the one in your car. I never leave a real one there either...as thieves can use it to change the ownership once they've stolen it.

When JR and I were pulled over last fall by the OPP and CO...the ONLY thing the OPP asked for was the vessel licence... as he knows it makes the most money for them. Never asked to see anything else.

Read what I typed above Kevin....photocopy works just fine. OPP are used to photocopied car ownerships. Regs say "vessel licence must be carried aboard your vessel" They know it's a piece of paper that isn't going to last long in those elements...GOOD photocopy is fine. Be sure to do both sides!

Well it seems I don't, and never have carried that paper in my boat for over 10 years now. I do recall when I got the license, being told only the numbers had to be on the side, and the paper was to be left at home. Did the law change somewhere down the road? I know I would of for sure put it in my boat, and knew about this if it was law back then. Now I'm turning the house upside down just trying to remember where I last put the license. I have been stopped and checked quite a few times in the ten years and never had any problems.

It is law Deano. I drove a 26' Tempest for about 15 years and I never could have told you where the licence was for it...still can't! Like I say it was the only thing they asked JR and myself for last November on the Bay. Guess while some spot checking officers feel it's about safety and check for PFD's etc...others know how to make the department money and just start by asking for the vessel licence. Many boaters have never carried one in their live's and have no good reason to know they need to carry one. Thank god for message boards, as that's where I learned it was law as well. Glad I did or I'd be 5 or 6 good baits lighter in the wallet!

Well I found it, dusted the cobwebs off it and will carry it in my wallet from now on. Thanks for the heads up. I learned something new today, so now I can go out and play. NASCAR was cancelled today, so I got an extra 5 hours now. LOL

Hey Guys,

A photocopy or laminated copy is not tecnically acceptable. I had the unfortunate case of being stopped and asked for my

vessel license by the OPP. I produced a laminated copy and the cop asked me for the original. I did not have it and was given a ticket for $300.00, so I guess it depends on the cop who stops you. I went to court, explained the circumstances to the judge and explained that that lots of rain gets in the boat and as paper can get wet, I carried a laminated copy. The judge asked me to produce the original which I did and then let me off with the warning that next time I would have to produce the original. So now I always carry the original in the boat in a sealed baggie.

It would be nice if the feds would supply a plastic license and then the issue of getting the cheap paper license wet would be avoided.

Bill

Edited by wmshaw

Thanks for that Bill. The mistake you made was laminating it. You can't laminate any government documents anymore...like Birth Certificates for example. Easy to hide forgeries that way. When you photocopy a vehicle ownership it actually comes up and shows COPY across it so they have a better idea that it's really a valid copy. With the vessel licence..they are just printing them on a lazer printer a Services Canada now..all black ink..no hand writting or authorization signatures like they use to have. A good photocopy looks exactly the same as the original.