cooking thread...

I have made Gravlax (I think the spelling is Swedish vs Norwegian) with most species of Salmon or Trout, all work well except Lake Trout...a little too strong flavoured. Have you ever tried adding beet juice to the cure ? A classic Swedish recipe that adds some interesting flavour and colour.

Have fun playing with the Bass Doug. I'm looking forward to Saturday too...with all these wacky cold fronts coming through of late, the Walleye fishing's been a dud.

Spending this morning cleaning up from the storm last night...got pretty violent for a bit up here.

• Like 1

Yes I did look up the spelling before I posted that, to confirm in my own mind how I used to spell it.  Mr Google says both spellings are correct.

I did hear the tornado and violent storm warnings for your area yesterday on my way home from the hunt camp.  It completely missed Kingston.

Doug

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CrowMan said:

A couple of days ago I took my 5 wt and my Vizsla up to a favourite creek in North Frontenac. The Mayfly hatch was in full swing, and I was fortunate enough to have a few Brookies sip on my Adams.

Usually, I'll pan fry, grill or hot smoke Brook Trout...but since I was having a couple of buddies over to watch the game tonight, I decided to make Gravlax as a snack, which I haven't made in awhile. Gravlax is Scandinavian cured fish, typically made with Salmon, but Trout works perfectly well too. It's like a cross between cold smoked fish and sashimi...there's no cooking, just the cure. The fillets are heavily coated in salt, sugar, dill and Aquavit (a spicy gin/vodka from Norway). The process takes place in the fridge, under the weight of a brick to squeeze out the moisture. It typically takes 24 to 48 hours depending on the thickness of the fillets. Once cured, it's easy to cut the fillets into very thin slices with a sharp knife.

I'm serving it with some baby greens from my garden, lemon, Vidalia onion, capers, toasted rye bread, and a dressing of sour cream, dill and Dijon mustard.

I'm not an Oiler fan, but it would be nice to see the Cup finally return to Canada...hopefully the tornadoes don't interfere with my reception up here..

20240613_193325.jpg

Oh Baby, that has me drooling. :D

• Like 1

On 6/12/2024 at 12:28 PM, Spiel said:

First time buying Prawns, a quick marinade in lime juice, a dash of chili flakes and onto the grill next to the Asparagus.
Served over some  fried Basmati Rice with veggies. I'll do it again. 😉

prawns.jpg

Looks tasty...my kind of meal !

Curious...were those "BC Spot Prawns" ? If so, where did you buy them ? I know that now is the season for them, but I've found it difficult to find them in Ontario. They are definitely sweeter and more delectable than Shrimp. On a fishing trip to the Queen Charlotte's, we feasted on those to the point of gluttony...so good !

Was all for my love today. Some surf and turf. Mushroom cap escargot, shrimp,tuna salad and that steak. 😆 

Tried this upgraded beef from Zhers.20240614_125756.jpg That will be my last try.  Terrible. 

20240615_144813.jpg20240615_153759.jpg20240615_154316.jpg20240615_154431.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/14/2024 at 3:24 PM, CrowMan said:

Looks tasty...my kind of meal !

Curious...were those "BC Spot Prawns" ? If so, where did you buy them ? I know that now is the season for them, but I've found it difficult to find them in Ontario. They are definitely sweeter and more delectable than Shrimp. On a fishing trip to the Queen Charlotte's, we feasted on those to the point of gluttony...so good !

I'm afraid not CM. I habitually forget to take my reading glasses with me when I go shopping, so I'm always stuck with my progressive lense sunglasses which make reading small print difficult. What caught my eye was a large sign that stated 2lb bag of prawns was on sale for $29.95, so on a whim I bought them never having eaten Prawns before. Once home I was able to read the bag which said farmed in Bangladesh. While quite tasty I won't purchase them again. I'll check with my local fish monger next time I visit next if he has a Canadian source for Prawns.

• Like 1