cooking thread...

Fiddle head soup 

Yall know what this is

Now it's time to focus on muskie and walleye but the weather has been brutal. Tonnes of rain and high winds...

Hopefully some fish pics to come! Hopefully yall had a great opening weekend!

20240523_182715.jpg

20240523_181854.jpg

20240515_191519.jpg

On 5/23/2024 at 7:57 AM, akaShag said:

You have a regular bakery going there, Rick!

Doug

Thanks dood! In the camp downtime and in between building new cabins, I've been luckily to hop in the kitchen with 2 red seal chefs(they any allowed me in because our talks about food lol)

It's crazy here, everything from scratch and fresh food brought in for the ladies to work with daily.

My cooking skills are 10 fold in a month or so lol

2 minutes ago, manitoubazz said:

Making some amazing foods, learning alot on downtime from fishing.

Rick, are you working at a high end fishing lodge or something?
Doug

27 minutes ago, akaShag said:

Rick, are you working at a high end fishing lodge or something?
Doug

The lodge itself is very NW ontario, so not high end. 

But the cooking is super high end. 3 of the young ladies are red seal chefs and when I'm not doing maintenance or guiding, I hop in the kitchen  and cook with them.

The food is UNREAL DOUG

1 hour ago, CrowMan said:

I'm impressed....who would've thought kimchee at a fishing lodge. 

...and nasturtium petals on the pudding. You guys are looking for a Michelin star !

Thanks!

This is the food we eat, lol, it's even better for the guests.

Sometimes it works that we eat the same menu as the guests however.

First ski of the year landed by my fishing buddy Derrick. 46" and boy did we have a hard time landing it. 

We were not prepared for musky. We were just jigging walleye on a ledge (23fow -40fow)

Great fish!

At some point I bashed my shin off a seat or the edge of the tinny lol

20240529_200452.jpg

20240530_134142.jpg

20240529_200638.jpg

On 5/29/2024 at 1:44 PM, CrowMan said:

I'm impressed....who would've thought kimchee at a fishing lodge. 

...and nasturtium petals on the pudding. You guys are looking for a Michelin star !

Thanks!

This is the food we eat, lol, it's even better for the guests.

Sometimes it works that we eat the same menu as the guests however.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of days ago I took my 5 wt and my Vizsla up to a favourite creek in North Frontenac. The Mayfly hatch was in full swing, and I was fortunate enough to have a few Brookies sip on my Adams.

Usually, I'll pan fry, grill or hot smoke Brook Trout...but since I was having a couple of buddies over to watch the game tonight, I decided to make Gravlax as a snack, which I haven't made in awhile. Gravlax is Scandinavian cured fish, typically made with Salmon, but Trout works perfectly well too. It's like a cross between cold smoked fish and sashimi...there's no cooking, just the cure. The fillets are heavily coated in salt, sugar, dill and Aquavit (a spicy gin/vodka from Norway). The process takes place in the fridge, under the weight of a brick to squeeze out the moisture. It typically takes 24 to 48 hours depending on the thickness of the fillets. Once cured, it's easy to cut the fillets into very thin slices with a sharp knife.

I'm serving it with some baby greens from my garden, lemon, Vidalia onion, capers, toasted rye bread, and a dressing of sour cream, dill and Dijon mustard.

I'm not an Oiler fan, but it would be nice to see the Cup finally return to Canada...hopefully the tornadoes don't interfere with my reception up here..

53345997448205.jpg

20240613_193325.jpg

20240613_192820.jpg

• Like 2

Looks awesome!

I used to make gravlox (I spell it with an o, like lox) with brown trout fillets, but it has been a very long time since I caught a brown.  Or a brookie, for that matter...

Headed to Loughborough today for a week, yeehaw!  When we are not bass fishing or playing cards, the 4 amigos eat like kings.  I am introducing them to smoked sprats, thanks to you!

Doug

• Like 1