Another hot white fish day on Simcoe

icefisherman

Took my older son with me today and headed back to Simcoe. Couldn't resist the nice weather forecast....even the rain couldn't spoil our fun....whities were there ready for the show first thing in the morning...Meegs lures were on the menu again. White fish never gets tired of them. Tried to get them in the one man hut a friend gave me recently but my new St. Croix ice rod at 36" was too long for the small hut and kept hitting the ceiling when trying to nail them. So after loosing 4 in a row.....enough with that...left my son in the hut and I ventured outside in the rain ha ha ha...drilled a hole 20 feet away from the hut ...first 2-3 jigs bammm...white fish came to say "hi" on the ice....from there it went great for about an hour...than slow down for another hour so more drilling was in order. And for the last hour bunch more came out to play as well. Final score was 9/14. Good friends drove us back to shore at around Noon and that is all she wrote for the day....stopped and bought myself a new Buddy heater and can't wait to try it next time it is -25 outside ha ha.

Few shots for your viewing pleasure:

20150118_091037_resized_zpsfbebadd1.jpg

20150118_120657_resized_zps05abd104.jpg

20150118_115915_resized_zpsc4334b11.jpg

20150118_111236_resized_zpse0b8fc2a.jpg

20150118_115127_resized_zps91e7464d.jpg

My great partner for the day!!

20150118_122744_zps9e375b46.jpg

And here is what 30 ​​ jammed inside the stomach and the feeding tube of the fattest white fish of the day. I have never seen so many gobbies in one single white fish!!!clear.pngclear.pngclear.pngclear.png​​​​​​

20150118_173116_resized_zpsd48cefac.jpg

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Thank you for your advice icefisherman. Helped me to put 3 whitie and 3 lakers on the ice today.

Costa my pleasure my friend. Glad you did well. Once you figure the action on the Meegs it is the most productive lure....and you never snag a fish with a Meeg.

Beer is on you next time we run into each other ha ha

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

What kind of hut was it? I thought some of the huts - especially the flip overs, are too low for good hook sets.

Sleepjigging

It is a flip over one man hut....rather small. I never fish in a hut but friend gave it to me and mostly took it out for my son as it was raining for few hours in the morning.

Oh what a surprise, Emil caught whitefish on the ice :)

Good for you bud, can't believe how many gobies in that fishes' stomach, wow!!!!

Well done bud!

Thanks Joey.Haven't seen each other for a while. Hope to see you this season.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Costa my pleasure my friend. Glad you did well. Once you figure the action on the Meegs it is the most productive lure....and you never snag a fish with a Meeg.

Beer is on you next time we run into each other ha ha

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

How do you work those jigs?

How do you work those jigs?

Beers on me if you teach me the way. Looks like a brilliant day of fishin

Cut the head of the tube so you can slide it on top of the Meegs from starting at the tip of the hook and push it onto the Meegs. Turn it around to align the black back of the tube with the black back of the Meeg. Once tube is on the Meeg the friction will keep it there so no need to glue anything. Sometime I cut a bit from the tail of the Meegs as Whities like to grab on them if too long.

Jigging it is not that difficult but it take some time to master....jig right over the bottom....3-4 times...then lift 2-3 feet up and crush it back to the bottom....wait 2 sec and jig again 3-4 times slow motion short strikes right above bottom....then repeat....some days they want more delicate jig some days with more movement...you adjust accordingly...once you figure it out the best way to catch whities and lakers...love it....

It is all pretty simple....the jigging action is the most critical part.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

I'm so sick of hearing people doing well on Simcoe..

Brian you owe me a dang whitie!!

Hello

I WASNT THE ONE LOOKING AT THE FINDER YELLING,,,, BITE BITE,WHATS WRONG WITH YOU FISH. OH HERE HE COMES,DAMIT,THERE HE GOES BACK DOWN.

Just saying. :whistling:

Lets get out again DUDE.

Edited by Brian B