Snowmobile helmet

Dan668

IMO - An electric visor is a must. I saw a guy on his ATV drive right into a pressure crack and nearly lost the machine a couple of years ago. When I asked why he didn't go over the used crossing, his reply, couldn't see it as the his visor was fogged and frosted up. That was only riding out for a couple of miles too. I recently went with an electric modular helmet and love it. Especially nice if you wear glasses. I think it was about $300 at Royal last year. I believe it is this one. http://www.royaldistributing.com/Catalogues/Main/2015-Fall-Winter/#46

Bottom line is don't cheap out on protecting you melon.

I've found that I've had fogging issues even with the vents open (always have them all opened) if I forgot to plug in the helmet. Certainly depends on the temps, But maybe I'm just a hot head. lol. The best thing is not to put the helmet on until the last minute and leave the visor up until you are moving and the air starts moving in those vents. Another problem for me is I just can't stand the breath deflector that goes over your nose. Drives me nuts. And the certainly adds to my fogging issues. Even with the electric visor I will ride 95% of the time with the visor cracked open for airflow.

I have a CKX modular with electric shield.

Similar to the Tranz 1.5. Not sure of the exact model as it's now 8 years old.

And still working fine. ;)

It is pretty frosty where I'm riding and I would have big problems if I did not have the electric defogging capability.

Leaving the vents open does not help and only makes me cold. The only way to not have my shield fog up is to leave it open.

Not gonna do that @ -30 ambient. :D

http://www.royaldistributing.com/Catalogues/Main/2015-Fall-Winter/#46

We just breath different than you is all Terry!

I find days it's worse with the electric on and you can't use it or things fog up worse.... but 85% of the time it's plugged in!

I also removed my mouth/nose isolator from my helmut as I couldn't stand it. Adds to the fog as the helmut doesn't vent as designed.

Just wish I had a full flip up front, as putting glasses on after the helmut goes on... taking them off before it comes off... and the fact they vibrate off the seat and get stepped on sucks! :ninja:

Edited by irishfield

I was looking at the ckx modulars, alot of negativity towards modulars in general due to safety on some forums. I think im going to pick it up anyways, looking at this thread, they seem to be popular.

A lot of people up here ride without helmets which to me is insane!!!

​We have already had a local legend kill himself this winter because he was not wearing one. :wallbash: :wallbash:

Darwin works in mysterious ways.

No different than a lot of places that don't mandate the use of helmets on motorcycles.

Florida is one of those places. I was talking to a local Tampa cop about it. I asked him why they would mandate the use of seatbelts but not helmets? His response was it had been tried (has to go to the public for a vote) and voted down several times. I said time to change the way you guys make laws in Florida. :D

Just wish I had a full flip up front, as putting glasses on after the helmut goes on... taking them off before it comes off... and the fact they vibrate off the seat and get stepped on sucks! :ninja:

And that is why I got my modular. Although I've never stepped on my glasses they are forever falling off the machine while it's warming up.

I've had dozens of helmets over the years (most manufactures and dot advise against using helmets more then 2 years old) but I would say try some on see what fits you best. right now I use a snowcross style helmet because I like the light weight and the field of view best but they are certainly not the warmest

Dan

Those ckx helmets, how were they in sizing? From what i can see online, they run small. Its too bad i didnt try any modulars at royal the other day. Im looking to purchase online. Might have to head back, probably shouldn't be guessing my size.

I have two BRP helmets. One electric one not. Both are awesome. Best helmets I've ever had. Expensive but worth it.

I tried the modular 2,3. Liked the helmet. Do you use the electric often? It seems like many have little to no issues without it.