Family friendly road trip destinations

huzzsaba

Looking to get away with the family during the winter break. Probably 2-3 nights. Have been to all the cities here around Toronto (Niagara, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec). Looking to go somewhere in the US (wife wants to do some shopping there :rolleyes:), so looking for cities with indoor activities to keep busy for a few days.

We've been to Detroit, and New York several times, so that is out of the question. I really want to go to Florida, myrtle beach or the smoky mountains, but they are all too far for a drive and airline ticket prices are insane. Thinking of Chicago since its not too far. Are there any other cities worth visiting that won't be too expensive accommodation wise. I guess anything 9-10 hours max from Oakville area is what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will stick with Chicago.

Are there any indoor places that are highly recommended? And I mean places for kids.

Lastly, is it worth it to take the long route back through Sault Ste Marie especially in the winter? How is the scenery along hwy 17 in the winter? I have always wanted to check out northern Ontario since we used to travel this route when we were kids to visit my grandparents in Sault Ste Marie.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will stick with Chicago.

Are there any indoor places that are highly recommended? And I mean places for kids.

Lastly, is it worth it to take the long route back through Sault Ste Marie especially in the winter? How is the scenery along hwy 17 in the winter? I have always wanted to check out northern Ontario since we used to travel this route when we were kids to visit my grandparents in Sault Ste Marie.

They have an aquarium. There is a museum near by.

Yep.. Shedd Aquarium on the water front to the West of McCormick Place. McCormick Place has the Auto Show on from Feb 14th to 22nd if that's the time frame you're looking at. Lots of museums, unfortunately you can't watch the planes at Meigs Field anymore thanks to Mayor Daley bulldozing it the middle of the night. Oh and don't slow down on Madison Ave !

Edited by irishfield

They have a nice free zoo and tropical plant greenhouse building. If I remember it's down by the waterfront too. Loads of awesome, inexpensive and authentic Mexican restaurants throughout Chicago. Navy pier is a big tourist draw although I don't think it did much for me.