Lower Niagara Steelies

tonyb

I spent Sunday on the lower river in search of some big water Steelies with Aaron, and the weather was almost as nice as Saturday (See Hoss's report).

Aaron had given me a call late Saturday night needing to fill a spot in the boat, and since I missed my opportunity to get out with gman (Gavin), I was free! (Twist my rubber arm )

I scrambled a bit on Sunday morning realizing that I hadn't renewed my NY license so I hopped online since I remembered that you could renew online now, phew!

We got to the river around 7am and were heading toward the Art Park drift on the U.S. side where the action was so good on Saturday. I think Aaron hooked one in the first drift and then I got one in the second drift. We picked away at them for the next 4 hours but the action was really slow. I actually had a period where I wasn't hooking anything, it was all Aaron for about 3 or 4 fish straight! We tried artificials and kwikfish too, but ended up moving up to the Devils hole.

As we soon discovered, this is where it was happening. I think we got about 5 fish each from this drift in half the time we spent on the Art Park drift. I got my biggest Steelhead of the year twice in the same day! We had a nice double header too with my 2nd biggest. There is something cool about netting 2 fish with the same net!

Anyway, here are the pics! Enjoy.

1030516mediummn6.jpg

1030518mediumms1.jpg

This fish was my biggest fish this year until it got set aside by the boss in the next picture

1030514mediumba9.jpg

Here is my biggest Steelhead so far this year, this fish was bad ass! ~15lbs!

1030515mediumup7.jpg

You start to lost track of how many fish you get out there, but I would say we went a modest 16 for 19.

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyb

Hey, thanks for posting a report Tony... I'm surprised you didn't mention that we filmed a television show for the Outdoor Life Network on Sunday. I'm glad you could make it out and enjoy a great day on the water with me.

The fishing was on fire on Saturday, and almost as good on Sunday. The hot bite was Kwikfish during the week, but it was a great roe bite on the weekend. Salmon roe tied up with 6 eggs in peach and white spawn net was the ticket for us, although Tony got some fish on steelhead roe. Let's hope the water clarity will be better this fall on the Niagara than last fall!

Good fishing!

Aaron Shirley

The 'whirpools' that get generated from the hydro outflows that are opposite eachother on the U.S. and CAN. side can get pretty hairy.

When we go through there we are up on plane skipping through there. It is not a place you want to stop the boat at all in my opinion. When you are under power, you have control.

Joey, yes that is the Lewiston bridge in the background. We were fishing a spot called 'Devils Hole' which is actually downstream still of the famous Whirpool. I don't believe it is safe to take a conventional boat further upstream than where we were, but I do think the Jet Boats go up.

Aaron, I didn't want to hype it up too much in case I look like a complete putz on camera! lol

Now that the cat is out of the bag, you guys will get to see me on T.V.! I believe the show will air sometime in 2007. Once we know the date I will post a message letting everyone know to watch the show. Aaron actually let me say whatever I wanted, so you will get some interesting tips from my point of view :)

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyb

Joey,

Good decision. Fishing above the power dams is no place for a small boat. I kringe every time I see a small boat up there fishing. It is dangerous waters above Queenston Lewiston. A 19-foot guide boat got sucked under by a giant whirlpool last year and the guide and one guest lost their lives, only one got lucky and survived.

I'll never forget that day.. as I was on the water and a guy in a small tin boat asked me how to get to Devil's Hole in the morning at the ramp. I politely told him that if he enjoyed his life not to go. I guess he is glad he listened to me, as several hours later the 19-foot guide boat that got sucked under by a whirlpool surfaced and came floating down river upside down with the Coast Guard close by. The US Sherriff asked su to keep a look out for the bodies a little later, but we didn't see them. It was a big reminder that safety is a big priority on that river. The drift in Devil's Hole isn't that bad, but the area between the hole and Queenston on the way there is no place to mess around. My 19-foot boat almost got sucked under by a giant whirlpool one day fighting a fish down river from Devil's Hole, and now I am very cautious where my boat is drifting when above the dams.

There is lots of great water from Queenston down river that is safe, especially starting in December when the fishing is great.

Be safe out there, and good fishing!

Aaron Shirley

A 19-foot guide boat got sucked under by a giant whirlpool last year and the guide and one guest lost their lives, only one got lucky and survived.

The US Sherriff asked su to keep a look out for the bodies a little later, but we didn't see them.

My 19-foot boat almost got sucked under by a giant whirlpool one day fighting a fish down river from Devil's Hole, and now I am very cautious where my boat is drifting when above the dams.

Aaron Shirley

Wow...scary scary stuff!!!! Thanks for posting...hope everyone who fishes the area reads this!

Cliff