patenting something

misfish

Thanks for all the replies. Well some. :tease:

Once I have it the way I think is best,I,ll be asking for a few members to give them a try. Probly wont be til the new year forsure. The prototype will be used sooner Im sure.

I,ll have to blind fold terry and guide him to the large open hole. You did say you want to be one of the testers right? :whistling::Gonefishing:

Thanks for all the replies. Well some. :tease:

Once I have it the way I think is best,I,ll be asking for a few members to give them a try. Probly wont be til the new year forsure. The prototype will be used sooner Im sure.

I,ll have to blind fold terry and guide him to the large open hole. You did say you want to be one of the testers right? :whistling::Gonefishing:

haha you two crack me up!???

Good luck Brian, I`m curious to know what you`ve come up with, it should be cool

I had to comment about the heated toilet seat stuff, I have no clue where to get them, but Styrofoam is the ticket, no heat, when you sit down in the outhouse in January, you would swear somebody left

Don't confuse "patent" with "copyright." They are totally different things that serve completely different purposes.

If you're serious about this, then spend a couple hundred bucks and go talk to a good patent lawyer. They will advise you if it's really worth going all the way submitting a full patent application, which is a long and expensive process. Think "thousands," not "hundreds."

Understand one thing though - even if your invention is protected to the eyeballs, should someone rip you off it's still up to you to go after them, and that is always an expensive proposition. It's even worse if the knock-off is being manufactured overseas.

At the end of the day, unless your invention truly becomes a household item (like a zipper or Velcro) it's probably not worth worrying about a patent. The reality is, if someone rips off your idea there's a very good chance you'll spend far more in legal fees than you actually get back in the way of a settlement. Of course you can sue them for costs too, but that's another lawsuit, and yes, more fees.

Thanks again all.

Craig, thanks a lot to you as well. Looks like it,s not that simple. I,m a simple guy that just likes to toy with things. What I have improved on, I,m sure would work well. Hell, I know it would,but is it worth spending thousands of dollars to see?

What I have come up with, is a very simple improvement.

So simple,Im surprised the major players have not thought of it.

This ^^^^^^^^, is the part that gets to me. I don.t have the real cash to pursue this,but I know it would work well.

Guess I,ll keep it to myself for now.

Don't walk away from it yet! Another way to aproach it might be to make your prototype then aproach one of the manufacturers of related items and offer to sell them the idea and prototype for a % of sales. Most manufacturers will honor such agreements, it is in their best intrest to do so. I could help you with that part of it if you need.

Don't walk away from it yet! Another way to aproach it might be to make your prototype then aproach one of the manufacturers of related items and offer to sell them the idea and prototype for a % of sales. Most manufacturers will honor such agreements, it is in their best intrest to do so. I could help you with that part of it if you need.

Thanks Cliff.

I will keep that in mind.

lol

you bet

lol

Dont forget to bring a rope. :whistling:

You can try it if you want B but unless its something that in gonna revolutionize an industry don't bother.

Friends of ours have been chasing the same dream and 17 years and $300,000 later they still would have been better off selling the idea and collecting royalties.

Besides, Chinese and American companies don't care about others patents.

Do it online, heck I might even buy one.