Fishing Camp - best water?

KraTToR

I'm looking at buying some waterfront property with or without a small cottage on it and I'm looking for location suggestions. Here is my criteria if you could help :)

• Waterfront on the property - not "access" or across the road.
  • Deep enough water for a dock
  • Must be within a 4 hr drive from Kitchener/Waterloo
  • Must have great multi-species fishing (Walleye, Bass, Pike)
  • It would be a bonus if there's Musky and Lake trout fishing as well
  • Within 1/2 from decent grocery, hardware, and gas.

Thanks in advance.

Patrick.

check out the Restoule area,has everything you are asking for including musky and lake trout.Walleye,bass and pike fishing is excellent. Town has gas,groceries,beer,hardware,plus North Bay only 40 minutes away. There are always properties for sale in area,my wife's cousin is a realtor in the area.

Edited by bowslayer

Krator I just went through this...

I bought property over the past winter with every thing you just asked for minus Lake trout.

But Mine is a wilderness lake front property with 120 acres surrounded by a lot of Crown :thumbsup_anim:

I'm in the Kawarthas area east of Stoney Lake and i'd suggest looking in that direction.

Its reasonably costed but to be perfectly honest I had been looking for 15 YEARS for the right parcel at the right price.

it might not hurt to look around in that neck of the woods.

Some questions I'd ask if I was your realtor:

-Are you planning to ever build something or store a trailer

-Do you have a size of property in mind?

-Do you care if its secluded, or are you just looking to touch water and don't care if your neighbors are ontop of you.

-Does access have to be drive in by "car" or would you be ok with 4x4 access, ATV, trail, or water access

If your willing to work a bit you can get a remote access property, or somthing off the beaten trail for a decent price.

That is just somthing to consder.

Thanks for the recommendation. I haven't thought about looking east of the Kawarthas although I've fished Stoco this fall.

I would prefer it to have a decent dwelling as building from scratch is an expensive proposal these days (septic, well, dock, landscaping, etc etc.) A fixer upper is fine as long as the place has potential.

I would need road access so its easy for my wife/family to come up but I'm not interested in a lake that's polluted with cottages and wake-boats.

I've been looking at a few properties around Minden/Haliburton, some of the lakes have about 30% crown land for shoreline. Catchacoma area is also another spot but no 'eyes..

Jack's lake, forgettaboutit. Its a zoo in the summer, what about Kasshabog?

Some other thoughts are:

Kawagama

Boshkung

Kushog

etc.

The french river is a great idea but there' accessibility issues and its a bit of a hike for a regular place. East of Belleville is another option I guess.

We're practically neighbors, I'm 2 miles south of Stoney off 28.

I'm actually out just past the Cordova area but not to far :Gonefishing:

I am Soooo glad I waited...I had my eye on a parcel on the Montreal river as well but they just

wouldn't move on the price so it kept me aprehensive.

In retrospect though...this is so much better.

Montreal river area is Beautiful and I did spend a bit more then the Montreal river property was asking for

But I shaved 2 hours off the drive, and this property came with a good 'ol Log Cabin in place, and the fishing has been fantastic.

So it was well worth the wait in my oppinion.

Karttor if your looking for (car style) Road access, waterfront, with a building in place your more then likely looking in that $225-$275K range on average for a small lot and basic cottage. You might find something closer to $175K-$200K if you take your time, wait it out and find a small older cabin on a less traveled river or small lake.

Kasshabog is a cottage lake in my oppinion, but the fishing is good. Some MONSTEROUS cottages on that lake as well...more or less a basic Kawartha lake, not unlike Buckhorn or what have you. Nice lake but not always quiet if thats what your looking for.

And i'm quoting prices I that popper up frequently that I deemed as "deals worth looking at" you could easily spend $500-$800K there as well...

Edited by Cookslav

I respect your comment but disagree with the French River comment.........walleye fishing there has not been the same in over 30 years.

The walleye fishing in the French has been getting better and better the past 10 years or so. I usually spend 3-4 days on the middle French with the oldman sometime around Thanksgiving. Never an issue catching walleyes for dinner.