Niagara river whirlpool float fishing questions

Cosmos

Hi guys,

would like to get some advice about fishing Niagara river whirlpool . It's going to be my first time.

I do have 13'6 fl long float and spinning reel. I know that for float fishing pin reel is better, but because I am going first time and really want to try I decided to use spinning reel.

I would like to know what weight of float you are using? Also what is better - mono with fluoro leader or braid with fluoro leader? Planning to use 12 lb mono with 10 lb fluoro leader.

Also I heard that people using a small jigs instead of hooks - any recommendation?

Thank you

For floats, I mainly use foam or balsa slip floats in the 14-25gr size. I prefer the bigger sizes primarily for visibility at long range. I did pick up a few fixed Balsa floats from Centerpin Angling in 14 and 20gr sizes to try out down there.

For leaders, I mostly just use 6-8lb Maxima UG.

I've done OK with roe there but the vast majority of the fish I catch down there (in no particular order) are on soft-plastic minnows, streamer flies, yarn eggs, beads and 4-6" pink worms. Sometimes I bring a 2nd spinning rod with me and use spoons, bigger spinners, Kwikfish and other lures. A few years ago I did really well on the steelhead casting a 4" Swammer on a jig head.

I love my float reels, been using them since the early 80's, but for the lower Niagara I prefer a long spinning combo , never used one but a baitcater would seem to be even better. I wish you could still get the old round Blackbirds with the stick in the hole like 30 years ago, found them great in the heavy flow, fatter is good down there.

11 gram is all you need. 8lb leaders. Vary your depths obv and unless its mid winter and fishing lower is only time I slip float. Pool is normally betwen 4ft and 11 ft running. Fish it prob 5 days a week and actually when we got are house which is 2 min away I think the wife knew I wasnt gonna be around alot lol.