Backwoods Lake Trout Report

4x4bassin

It was that time of year when we head up to our favorite backwoods lake for some hot smallmouth and lake trout action . We usually go on the closing weekend for trout

but my fishing partner had to work so we went the weekend before which was fine but a couple of the other guys had to cancel , no big deal more fish for us .

This time of year we do a lot of jigging for lake trout but due to the cooler water temps. (59 F) we decided to do a little trolling as well and we did fairly well trolling weighted

williams spoons but the majority of the trout came jigging . The smallmouth bass were elusive this weekend and not in there usual haunts , probably due to the late summer storm

that hit us hard pretty well all weekend with "start building the ark" rain and a windy cold front !

This would be the last we would see of the sun for several days as it started to set

2014-09-22001005_zpse389214b.jpg

With the approaching bad weather we decided to gather as much dry wood as possible , which would be a little difficult with all the rain we had received this September

but we went for a boat ride and gathered a whole wack of "match stick" dry drift wood along a windward shoreline . This stuff burns through anything !!!!

2014-09-22001006_zps78d132a3.jpg

Here are a couple landscape pictures of the lake we were fishing

2014-09-22001009_zps6194d6d0.jpg

2014-09-22001010_zps40982570.jpg

This is one of our hot spots for jigging lake trout , it is a small island with a little 10-15 ft shelf coming off it with a straight drop too 80 ft . It only produces in the early fall for

some reason and when the trout are there they are in there thick right on top of the shelf .

2014-09-22001007_zps072bae3a.jpg

We were lucky that it only rained during the day and stopped just long enough at dusk for us to cook up a nice meal every night and have a couple drinks and laughs around

the fire

2014-09-22001024_zps22ad4047.jpg

2014-09-22001022_zps4e834c6f.jpg

The trout were pretty active but not like in the past and the smallies were literally extinct , the bad weather definitely put these guys in a negative mood . Didn't get to many

fish pictures due to the heavy rain during the day but we got a couple pictures in . The lake trout in this lake are all natural and mostly planktivorous so they don't grow big

like Lake Simcoe greasers . These fish are orange finned beauties

2014-09-22001002_zps55909cfc.jpg

This fish that my friend caught has a story to it that you won't believe , details to come in another report

2014-09-22001012_zps537e38bb.jpg

My bait of choice was a 3/4 ounce darter (homemade paint job) and a 5" lunker city fin-s fluke in blue/silver/grey . A trailer hook was a must this weekend with the trout hitting

short every time . I lost more fish then I caught even with a trailer hook .

2014-09-22001031_zpsdbf1eedd.jpg

Another year of wheeling into the backwoods is over and i'm already looking forward to my spring trip , its going to be a long winter . I would also like to thank Mike Borger

for the information on the tailing glove . I picked one up before this trip and it handled these little rockets great .

Hope you enjoyed , Cheers

2014-09-22001029_zpsc851f3e4.jpg