Guelph Lake

traceyk

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice about fishing spots and best times of day to fish. I spend a couple of hours out in guelph lake today, I caught some sun....... but no fish and none bit. It was the first time my husband and I went out there so, not sure where to go. The lake seems very full, what do they like. I used worms, my husband was using minnoes.

Anyone have some suggestions?

thanks

Edited by traceyk

• 2 weeks later...

I asked at the gatehouse the last time there. They said the best spots for Bass was just East of the main beach (Away from the dam) and Pike was better up around the back of the lake where the Speed river enters. (For this part of the lake you can drive straight from the gatehouse and down the hill to the lake...I think you can launch here...used to be the old road)

I don't catch anything anyway..so I can't tell you from actual experience,

Hi and welcome to OFC. If you have a boat, try fishing along the brush of the island, or trolling around it. Many decent fish in there, keep trying and find your own fav spots too. A fishfinder can be very helpful in marking submerged structure and/or weeds.

Buy the map at the gate. Fish the road beds and more specifically the ditches beside the roads. Try and locate the foundations of the farm houses and barns located on the map. Here are a selection of pics from Guelph lake taken over the last decade or so from my trips there.

082758.jpg

35" pike taken on a football jig with a spidergrub around 12yrs ago.

064131.jpg

13.75" crappie caught on a 1/16oz jig & grub combo 2 yrs ago.

064133.jpg

19.75" smallie caught on a 1/8oz jig & grub combo 2 yrs ago.

I've caught many nice largemouth there as well but the pics are not yet digitized.

• 3 weeks later...
belwood has got some decent pike below the dam and in the lake there are walleyes being caught below the dam as well

Walleyes??? Could you be thinking of Conestogo River /Lake instead? (They stocked that lake years ago...don't know if they took or not. I never heard that about Belwood)