Please read the petition to open Credit River for Natural reproduction

canliq

Some of the best resident brown fishing I have enjoyed is on the Salmon River, upper and lower fly zone, and even below in the bait section. Big, fat browns up to 8 lbs on caddis and stone flies. And good numbers too. And that section is wide open to the lake. Pere Marquette is world renowned for browns...and wide open to lake fish.

Like it or not, Pacific salmon are part of our ecosystem now, as are steelhead, browns, in addition to the native species like brookies, lakers, and perhaps one day Atlantic's, plus bass. The sad thing is all these dams screw up bass populations and all species of minnows, suckers, dace, etc. Some of our healthiest rivers have few if any barriers...Wilmot, Bowmanville, Pine, Bighead, etc. The Bighead has some tremendous resi brown and brookie fishing...and yes, in sections wide open to lake run fish.

If temperatures and flow are adequate for trout then habitat, habitat and habitat are the most important limiting factors.

As for stocking atlantics,They have been doing it for many years. Probly longer then most think. Unless they were stocking back then,stopped and started again in the late 90,s.

I can remember fishing a stretch of the credit at Eldorado park.(again,dating myself here) Up at the rail bridge. I was catching them 6 to 10 inches long. An older fella stopped bye and I showed him one.He told me what they were,I got away from that spot. Left them alone.

They have been stocking the LeHave strain of Atlantics for a long time. The LeHave strain are domesticated inbreds. How successful do you think Ontario's turkey reintroduction would have been if they had used inbred farm turkies?

Stocking of new strains such as the Sebago lake strain is quite recent. I think we need to give the new program a chance rather than scrap it based on the lack of success of previous approaches to atlantic stocking.

I also wouldn't count on an increase in stocking of other species if the altantic program is ultimately scrapped.

Some of the best resident brown fishing I have enjoyed is on the Salmon River, upper and lower fly zone, and even below in the bait section. Big, fat browns up to 8 lbs on caddis and stone flies. And good numbers too. And that section is wide open to the lake. Pere Marquette is world renowned for browns...and wide open to lake fish.

Like it or not, Pacific salmon are part of our ecosystem now, as are steelhead, browns, in addition to the native species like brookies, lakers, and perhaps one day Atlantic's, plus bass. The sad thing is all these dams screw up bass populations and all species of minnows, suckers, dace, etc. Some of our healthiest rivers have few if any barriers...Wilmot, Bowmanville, Pine, Bighead, etc. The Bighead has some tremendous resi brown and brookie fishing...and yes, in sections wide open to lake run fish.

If temperatures and flow are adequate for trout then habitat, habitat and habitat are the most important limiting factors.

While I appreciate your enthusiasm you absolutely cannot compare resident fisheries in NY and Mi with On. The supplemental stocking done by both states is astronomical and not all naturally produced like here in Ontario. I have no problem with steelhead sharing water with browns as both are non native species. My concern are the brook trout tribs put impassable barriers on them and you got yourself a deal.Edit : Some of my favourite Nith river BT tribs have been overrun with rainbow YOY and smolts since they started getting all the way up to New Hamburg from Erie.

Edited by Musky or Specks

The good thing abouut the atlantic program is the money put into stream rehab. We need as much of that as we can get, I dont care what species they stock.

S.

There isn't much stream rehab going on (Unless you're talking about fishways).. Atlantic program needs to be canceled, such a waste of time and energy.

Ive seen a lot of stream rehab happen on the east tribs directly from the atlantic program.

Fishways are rehab IMO too.

S.

I was specifically referring to the Credit. Nice to know good things are happening out east as well.