worm harnesses

zman

I am looking at getting some worm harnesses

I will be fishing up in the west of nipissing and I don't have allot of experience with them

Does anyone recommend a brand or style and also what is the proper set up for them

3 way or just a one way swivels also what weight is recommended if any in about 8 feet of water

they seemed to be the only things that worked up there (for us) last year.. i had my luck with the chartreuse blades / beads and three hooks..

i just tossed on a worm weight and driffted with it..

and yes PP, panfish and sheepsheads seemed to enjoy them as well...

I used worm harnness and bottom bouncers yesterday for the first time.Had a limit of walleye in less than one hour.You can bet I will try them again.The ones I used had a single coloradoe blade , 6 beads , two hooks and a swivel to tie them on with.Give them a try.

Wes

With bottom bouncers a good rule of thumb is 1 oz. for every 10 feet of depth. At 8 feet deep you could use a small bottom bouncer and troll or drift fish with just a split shot. If the area you are fishing has pike and musky you can get harnesses made of steel leader material that will stand up a little better. Last time I checked CTC and Wal-Mart both carried some.

I like em too for Walleye. I use the three hook pattern on wire. They are stronger IMHO. I connect with a swivel and attach a bullet weight 4 feet up from the swivel and slow troll over deep weed beds. say 10-12 feet.

I like em too for Walleye. I use the three hook pattern on wire. They are stronger IMHO. I connect with a swivel and attach a bullet weight 4 feet up from the swivel and slow troll over deep weed beds. say 10-12 feet.

Oopps double post ..like two mints in one... like I say I likes em.

Edited by Nemo

I tie my own with flourocarbon leader material. Wire works good until it kinks on the 1st or second fish and then the rig is mangled or the baldes won't turn. I don't know what the proper term for the blade is - I use the ones that don't use a clevis. They'll turn at any speed and don't get fouled up as bad in algae or weeds.

I use a single hook and a size 12-14 treble as a trailer/stinger with minnows until late June/July - they stay on the rig better and for the most part the dinky little panfish stay away.

With an 1/8oz slip sinker or just a small split shot or two I can slow troll from 5-20 feet with little adjustment. I kick up the trolling motor a notch or reel in a little line if I'm bumping bottom too much. In 7-8 feet I usually let out 30-50 feet of line. I'm usually going too slow to let out much more than that.

Worm harnesses rule. :w00t: ...i have been tying my own for almost most of my life,my grandfather taught me how to tie them and then sell them for the guests at the fishing lodge,so i have tied my fair share thats for sure,the thing that sets them apart is that the options are many,some with 2 blades,1,or beads,every color of the rainbow,and man do they work....i use them at all times of the year ,and i think i have caught most of the gamefish on a harness at one time or another....even a salmon & lake trout....they are very versitile thats for sure.......cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

When you are attaching your worm harness to the bottom bouncer, do you need to tie on a few feet of line between the bouncer and the harness to get the harness away from the bouncer? Or do you just clip the harness straight to the bottom bouncer?

Exclusively use them myself for summer walleye fishing, and other species. I do use jigs also, but we mostly troll.

Make my own, only 18" long, and make up 18" long leader extensions for adding extra length if needed to extend the length behind the bottom bouncer. That way, the harness itself is much easier to store, being short.

Got this one on a double bladed, 2 hook, hammered brass hand made worm harness a year ago, my personal best Brookie at 19" long, and 12.5 inches girth, approx. 3 3/4 lbs.

gallery_5_2_9404.jpg

One of the many pics we took of this fish is in my avatar.

Edited by tjsa