French river basin: smallmouth? Walleye?

singingdog

I am doing a 5 day trip in the French River basin - leaving from Byng and heading north towards the Bustards. I'm not looking for your secret spots, just some general info on fishing the area. I would like to target smallies and 'eyes, and will be fairly minimalist (one rod, not much tackle). Any hints?

Go for the smallies, the pickerel fishing in the area has been bunk since the tribes started netting the spawning pickerels.

I find that people that far north dont tend to bother with bass as much. Everyone typically jigs for pickerels. I think you will consistently catch more smallies.

you're going to see a lot of smooth rock, unproductive water, look for unique spots with weeds, or boulders

if you're camped near a fishy spot or a spot with current, after dark would be the best chance for the elusive pickerel, I would twitch a husky jerk from dusk into the night from the campsite, channel cats are around too if you're interested

post a report, it's a great area up there

Chris Brock is spot on. I've fished that area for over 30 yrs. The smallies we catch (by accident while fishing for walleyes) are usually very tight to rock, many times in 4 ft of water or less. A depth finder is key. look for depth changes that transition from shallow to deep in a hurry. plenty of spots there with drops of 5-6 ft to 19-20 ft by the length of a boat or 2! If you see an interesting piece of structure like that, throw out a marker and fish all around it, both deep and shallow. If you can find weed edges or pockets near those shelves, all the better. 1/4 oz jig w/ a twister tail tipped with half of a crawler or a harness will bang both species. At dusk and beyond, a stickbait/long profile bait or a shad rap would be my weapon of choice.

99.99% of the walleyes I catch are in 4- 18 ft of water. For what it's worth. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Great kayak trip, so-so fishing trip. Yes, we made it to the Bustards: 2 days from Byng to the islands. As Chris said, lots of unproductive water. With no FF, and minimal gear, it was tough to find the smallies. I could not figure out the difference between a productive boulder field, and a barren one.