Minnkota Powerdrive V2 with i-pilot not engaging

AKRISONER

Hey guys,

My dad and I are fairly new to the world of trolling motors, but our new new minnkota powerdrive V2 with i-pilot that we got last year decided to start acting wonky this weekend.

The unit appears to have awareness of the controller, reads as charged, beeps when started and even will turn...however no matter what we try we cant get the propeller to engage. At first we considered if it was a shear pin, but from what we can see there is no shear pin in this model, we also haven't used the troller for any shallow fishing recently so it definitely hasn't hit anything. The thing is still mint, yet for some reason you can set the speed and hit the propeller button, and nothing...

Anyone have any ideas or similar experience? Ive read some stuff about the brains in these things are garbage? I was wondering if this is a common problem and maybe have some insight before we go out and spend another 100 bucks trying to fix it.

Thanks,

I am slightly worried we wouldnt have an invoice...we might also just barely exceed two years...yes its 2 years old, but we didnt use the thing for almost a year while we attempted to rig a good mount for it on our fibreglass boat. I would say the motor has been used less than 20 times.

An invoice is not required, it only extends the time of the warranty from the date purchased instead of the date manufactured. I luckily have a minnkota service station near me and have sent my terrova in for a new pedal. Unfortunately, I don't think minnkota will care how many times it was used. It sucks, but that is just the way it is.

It sounds to me like you may have a bad remote if everything else works. The only way to find out for sure is to send it in.

If you are lucky, it will be a small part they can fix for a few dollars, if you aren't, I can't see it costing more than $200 for a remote if needed.

Good luck and keep us informed!

Adam

I will lose the ability to engage the prop but still have the ability to turn left / right. Similar to Rob C if I reset or simply unplug from socket all functionality returns.

The three times this has happens was twice on scugog and once on pigeon while trolling through the weeds. I assume(d) this was by design to protect the motor when the prop gets all hung up on cabbage? Fished 7 days straight on a lake with minimal weed cover or little that came close to the surface anyway and didn't incure any problems.

we actually remove the trolling motor entirely every time we stop fishing as we lock it up while we are gone for weeks at a time. So we definitely have attempted to unplug and plug in the motor as the plug is easily available. No dice....

We actually dont have a foot pedal as we are in a 16 foot glass tron. There really isn't anywhere to put a foot pedal, hence the i-pilot.

I read in some other forums that people were claiming that the card can get scrambled if it gets bumped? Im not sure how thats possible, but maybe? are these things really that breakable? That a small bump causes the entire thing to fail? What is supposed to happen if you are driving through chop?

we actually remove the trolling motor entirely every time we stop fishing as we lock it up while we are gone for weeks at a time. So we definitely have attempted to unplug and plug in the motor as the plug is easily available. No dice....

We actually dont have a foot pedal as we are in a 16 foot glass tron. There really isn't anywhere to put a foot pedal, hence the i-pilot.

I read in some other forums that people were claiming that the card can get scrambled if it gets bumped? Im not sure how thats possible, but maybe? are these things really that breakable? That a small bump causes the entire thing to fail? What is supposed to happen if you are driving through chop?

I have never had an issue with rough water. The one time I had an issue with what you are describing was when spot lock was engaged and I bounced a 1/2oz sinker off of the head unit. It chirped for a second and the spot lock turned off. I re hit the spot lock and it took me back to where I was with no issues afterwards.

Try changing the battery on the I-Pilot?, might sound stupid, but are you hitting the propellor button on the I-Pilot? which would send the signal from the remote to the propellor, also check the owners manual for troubleshooting, although i just checked and most everything related to replacing the remotes battery which is a CR 2450 3V and can be bought at the Source, Future Shop, any Camera Store etc, for about 7 dollars, i would avoid dollar stores where they sell them as well, in case of older stock