Bassin' in the storm

I got a tip at work last week about a lake up in lets say the Hamilton area about a small practically unfished lake teeming with big bass. Access looked to be very interesting, it appeared that the only way in was through a small feeder river that crossed a road upstream. But we thought what the hell and drove around to some of the cottages around the lake and ended up finding a proper launch (whether or not it was public I'm not sure)!

We get the canoe in the water and it's glass, minnows are boiling everywhere you turn and in the distance you can hear fish slurping on the surface. Tempted by the thought of a big largemouth on top I ditch my initial plan of covering water with a swimbait and go for a popper, 2 casts in and a small geyser erupts under my bait, it's game on! I fight it a short distance to the boat, look down, and it's a smallie! This is supposed to be a largemouth lake! Oh well, I guess I can live with it...

f219765e-9e5a-4ce1-97f2-d716d625be1d_zps

So I keep at it and after a good 20 minutes without any action I go back to the swimbaits, nothing. Until I see another school of minnows get busted by another big bass, on goes the skitterwalk. First cast an explosion just behind the bait, next cast a wake that follows the bait then turns into a boil that misses the bait my inches, followed again by a hard take.

8b531cf2-1064-49e8-a486-ba86aea7fec4_zps

After that we got winds in the high 20's and a good bit of lightning so we paddled hard and landed on an old abandoned lot, the storm cleared in about 20 minutes later and we were back at it.

edc28488-b11f-4e8e-841f-91de8cb37e91_zps

We fished some docks to no avail, then came across some pencil grass, I threw a jig in and got hammed by a big largemouth right away but missed him. One thing that I noticed on the map is that there was a large bay of slop at the other end of the lake, since the docks weren't working I figured that maybe they liked the jungle more in this lake. Upon arriving to the bay I spotted two large bass and spooked several others, the water was only a foot or two deep and was filled with really just slop, not many pads or weeds, just slop. The presentation took a little tweaking and I think it could have been better but once I got it I got two respectable fish within 5 casts of each other on a 6" lizard.

6e5dcf22-ba5a-46e0-9652-af45b77f6694_zps

be585410-16f7-4bd1-a96d-8c2caedd15d7_zps

I can't wait to get back for more than just a morning!

Not sure, I'd guess around 35" or so, good for standing and paddling when I want a better view. How would you target those shallow fish? They were certainly feeding, not just cruising but I couldn't carry a bait far without getting covered in weeds and frogs were spooking them, I'll probably try a wacky rig next time.

Not sure, I'd guess around 35" or so, good for standing and paddling when I want a better view. How would you target those shallow fish? They were certainly feeding, not just cruising but I couldn't carry a bait far without getting covered in weeds and frogs were spooking them, I'll probably try a wacky rig next time.

They cruise those weedy flats and feed hard. Long casts from a distance. Next time you go (this time of year), assume they are there and approach with stealth. It's like fishing for stream brookies from a canoe...use your stealth and sneak up on them, they are hungry.

Was just wondering about the paddle... I find my 60" is a bit long but I like the 'beavertail' shape. My Dad's 57" suits me better with the beavertail.

Edited by Rod Caster

They cruise those weedy flats and feed hard. Long casts from a distance. Next time you go (this time of year), assume they are there and approach with stealth. It's like fishing for stream brookies from a canoe...use your stealth and sneak up on them, they are hungry.

Was just wondering about the paddle... I find my 60" is a bit long but I like the 'beavertail' shape. My Dad's 57" suits me better with the beavertail.

Now that I think of it 35" is a little on the small side, it is a little over 50 I guess.

A small practically unfished lake near Hamilton? Did you make a deal with the devil? LOL!

Nice fish

I did say "let's say Hamilton", don't worry guys you aren't missing out on anything. ;)

Nice report and fish Christopher.

Thats some serious fog in the back grounds. LOL

Hows the new job? You liking it?

It can be slow when you're working weekdays and there's no one around but I'm learning a lot there, get to talk fishing all day, and end up with a bit of change in my pocket So I can't complain!

Was just wondering about the paddle... I find my 60" is a bit long but I like the 'beavertail' shape. My Dad's 57" suits me better with the beavertail.T

This work it in. I like a Jawbreaker with some pork on the end.

I must find out what/where this lake is, lol

Time to study the crap out of google maps.

Some beauty fish there! I like how you state your thoughts and how you went about presenting baits to the bass.

lol this is funny....

A small practically unfished lake near Hamilton? Did you make a deal with the devil? LOL!

Nice fish

and this one tops it off! hahaha

Chris - awesome fish buddy! It was great to see you at the Fish-a-Thon as well! Hopefully we're able to connect before long and get out on the water!

Thanks for the report bud!

Cheers,

Ryan