an hour on the pier.

limeyangler

Very nice Simon. I grew up fishing off that pier. We would fish the opposite side of the pier in the channel for perch. Doesn't look like it has changed a bit. There used to be a small restaurant at the foot of the pier that served awesome smelt dinners.

Thanks for posting.

I will be down there on the August long weekend and hopefully getting into some perch off the rifle range.

Cheers

Craig

Hard to beat a jig and minnow... Most people over complicate things...

Then again,just a simple tube or twister tail would result in the same. Im not a live bait guy,just saying.

I watched the vid this morning Simon. Loved the walk out.

Good ole graffiti never stops. LOL

I jokingly thought to myself "he's gonna sit there with a jig and minnow and slay fish just like his backyard"

Sure enough....

LOL....something about leopards and spots springs to mind.

finally, documented proof that time flies while your fishing... I'm sure that felt like less than 10 minutes.

That is very true. In fact it was the morning we headed out on the 2 day drive home. I had to wait for the car to come out of crappy tire in Blenheim while they replaced the whole turn signal and wiper switch controls that were shorting out, so why not grab a quick pier session as we were all packed and mum and kid were showering etc...etc...

Very nice Simon. I grew up fishing off that pier. We would fish the opposite side of the pier in the channel for perch. Doesn't look like it has changed a bit. There used to be a small restaurant at the foot of the pier that served awesome smelt dinners.

Thanks for posting.

I will be down there on the August long weekend and hopefully getting into some perch off the rifle range.

Cheers

Craig

Awesome Craig, thanks for the historical info, I never knew that. My father in law has had a trailer there for decades and some of the other folks there of his age(75) are in their parents trailers. Interesting little town with some cool history, I think i saw a book about them shipping a lancaster bomber on a barge through there.

~~~Do they have a shuttle service for us oldpharts, great Vid

LOL...now there is a business idea for a kid in the summer holidays!

Hard to beat a jig and minnow... Most people over complicate things...

Then again,just a simple tube or twister tail would result in the same. Im not a live bait guy,just saying.

I watched the vid this morning Simon. Loved the walk out.

Good ole graffiti never stops. LOL

Mike and Brian, good observations. I tell ya, I really enjoyed pier fishing again. I used to only fish the piers back in England (ocean) as i had no boat. Piers are a whole little community all to themselves and the folk that fish them give each pier its own little culture. Being the new guy/face on the pier was fun. Lots of nice folk out there.

One advantage of fishing in such close proximity to a lot of people is that you get to see what DOES NOT WORK! This is especially valid info when you can actually see there are literally hundreds of giant fish swimming up and down the pier wall. Once I got that you can start to build on what you know and experiment a little too. Another factor is exactly that there are so many people fishing there, the fish were definitely more easily spooked than back home, especially on the calm days as the water was so clear, mind you sight fishing the bass and sheepshead and watching them suck the jig in was fun on a couple of occasions.(very early morning)

I have been there 3 times now, and each time i learn a little more. This was the first time I had seen anyone using a jig there, it was the crappie guys, who all were strictly slip bobbers the previous years. As i love fishing jigs I adapted the crappie method out in the deeper water. The large jigs had the fish spooked(except the sheepshead that would hit almost anything), but a micro jig allowed for a more natural almost free line presentation with larger baits which the bass in particular i'm sure were not used to seeing and would readily smash worms, minnows and crawlers presented that way. But after about an hour or so the fish were even wary of that presentation and I would get funky with different plastics, freelining live baits with the occasional split shot added.

The live bait definitely worked best, and i soon figured out that the large minnows would get the spooked bass to bite as all the anglers using live bait and having no luck were using small minnows on way too obvious and heavy/complicated rigs. I get the need for heavy rigs as there is an evil current and undertow out there, but it is tidal so you can usually find a spot where it is fishable on light tackle or use a slip bobber and trot the bait through the swim like the steelhead guys....lol.

I've got to say the fishing was excellent. Loads of bass (LM and SM), the sheepshead were a blast a cast many days, we got a couple of mother load crappie nights, and there were always bucket loads of bluegill and rock bass to entertain when the bite was slow.

Here is the rest of the footage I shot. Got some nice pics too, finally managed to gather the pics and vids together.

Another Video

IMG_8122.jpg

IMG_7983.jpg

IMG_8054.jpg

IMG_7986.jpg

IMG_8213.jpg

IMG_8124.jpg

IMG_8141.jpg

IMG_8033.jpg

IMG_8151.jpg

IMG_8161.jpg

IMG_8072.jpg

IMG_8236.jpg

IMG_8248.jpg

Why not whats the big secret? Plenty of fish in the water. Plus you help OFC member.

LOL…I said seriously because the location is pretty obvious….no in fact I explicitly say where I am in the report and provide great big pictures and videos of the location….read the post and you will know….……"Pier" and "Erieau" are both in the video titles and the main text I wrote….the info is all there if you look.