Carpentry Advice -NF

captpierre

Hey Guys. Need to replace part of a covered porch floor at the cottage.

It's 1x4 tongue and groove pine. on pressure treated joists

Did some 3 yrs ago. Fastened with finishing nails and hammer. 2 inch I think.

I now have a power nailer/stapler. 18 Gauge

Should I use 18 g staples or brads? And what length?

thanks lots.

peter

Edited by captpierre

I buy most of my air gun nails at home depot and they all so far have said galvanized on the box. I'd really reconsider using the 18 ga and go to 16 ga simply because you'll have a heavier nail that's less likely to flex & snap, even if using PL adhesive there will be micro movement every time the floor has a moving load (technical ain't it???). Make sure to verify the joist condition - if you're changing the flooring due to rot, more than likely the top (at the very least!) of the joists will also be punky.

Just my 0.02, I really don't have several different nailers, couple of compressors etc. or any idea how to use them, at least that's the opinion of those who don't wanna pay the rates I charge ha ha ha!

Michael

I'm with John on this. I've done many T&G pine floors. Rent/buy a proper flooring nailer and use galvanized T cleats, they have excellent holding power. You can find nailers on sale for around $100 and just sell it when you're done - beats renting and being rushed. For locations that you can't get at with the nailer, pick up a box of galvanized spiral finishing nails and pound them in by hand. If you insist on going the brad nailer route, I wouldn't use anything less than a 16 gauge nail and use PL. As someone else pointed out check the condition of your joists.

Thanks Gents.

As usual, I get great advice from the Gang here on OFC

Never occurred to me that galvanized nails would be required. Makes sense.

Got a hold of a 16 g nailer and bought PL and galvanized nails at HD.

The fine print on the nails say "for indoor use only"

Guess they are covering their backside for failure due to rust.

This porch will be made of TREX or some other more durable material in 5- 10 yrs.

Thanks again

Peter