Advice for locating musky in Lake St. Clair

Wagoneer

Why not? It's the exact setup that warrants a hydrofoil. Underpowered engine that has trouble getting the boat on plane with two people on board. If I had the trim on the lowest setting it would plane easily with two people but it wouldn't rev out and get anywhere near the top speed it should. If I put the trim up it would take a long time to plane but once it was on plane it would sit at the proper revs at WOT but it tended to porpoise in rough waters. The hydrofoil allows it to plane out in half the time (maybe even less, I'm not kidding) and allow me to run a higher trim without sacrificing plane time and I gained 3km/h in top speed. Plus the engine doesn't chug at WOT which makes it a heck of a lot more efficient. At 3/4 throttle running just over 20km/h I can squeeze out about 1.5L/hr out of this little thing. At full throttle it runs about 2.0L/hr.

I'm not sure why there's such a weird array of negative/positive views on hydrofoils out there. There's a time and a place to use one, and for small underpowered stern-heavy boats, they're a life-safer. Almost every time you'll have faster planes with a higher top speed. If your boat already runs the proper revs at WOT, chances are good adding one will lessen your top speed. I guess their marketing for these things is a little misleading and people get angry when they think adding one on any setup with give you a higher top speed. That simply isn't true.

My dad runs the full-size stingray on his 21' boat with 150hp evinrude. His stop speed went down by almost 5km/h, but he can basically plane at 1/3 throttle and stability and fuel efficiency went way up. So you basically have to decide what trade-offs you want.

Thank you for the lenghty reply. I had one on my 20 merc14ft sylvan for the same reason.

I was just surprised to see one on a 6. Then again,you are running a air boat.

Thank you for the lenghty reply. I had one on my 20 merc14ft sylvan for the same reason.

I was just surprised to see one on a 6. Then again,you are running a air boat.

Any boat that has enough power to get up on plane can warrant from one. Smaller and lighter boats actually have the best results. I'm not a light guy, and I don't like using a tiller extension, so it really helps to get the stern up out of the water and levelled out.

Wagoneer...

Your not gunna get much love asking for people's specific musky spots... People work hard to find spots and aren't likely to spill the beans online... Especially when your fishing in a less then ideal musky boat with less then ideal musky gear...

I see you feel differently then EVERYONE that has replied to your post.... But with musky bad things can happen really fast in a small boat with undersized gear...

Given you tackle your better off targeting musky in the first few weeks of the season or in the fall when water temps are cooler and big fish can survive a longer fight on light gear....

Don't get me wrong... I've landed a LOT of musky while fishing walleye with 10lb braid... And a handful of 50"+ fish to boot... And I've never had a musky die when caught on walleye gear... But every big musky I've hooked on light gear i was worried about my safety as well as the fishes safety... You just can't control em the way you want to...

Hopefully you take some of the advice given by everyone and get yourself a st Clair tanker...

Good luck

have fun man!!

I hope you catch a St Clair fatty :)

you sound like your having a lot of fun!! i like your adventurous spirit. I once had that as well.....

tell you what, are you near hamilton at all?

If you are, I have a heavy action st croix premiere spinning rod you can have.

still not "perfect" for what your doing (st clair), but MUCH better than what you currently have.

its only 7' and should be easy enough to use in your boat. My father used it for bass fishing the heavy slop....but his hands wont allow him to do that type of fishing anymore...and if you saw my bass opener report, he kicks my butt drifting senko's off the slop either way.

Xq9sd5sV.jpg

You know, I'm not going to have much use for that Sahara 3000 either. If you promise to fill it with 50lbs braid and use the flouro lead I'm going to give you (80lbs seagur muskie flouro lead), then you can have the reel as well.

Edited by Steve

just use it.

are you near hamilton?

you really can't be using medium action ugly sticks fishing st clair for muskie....

my first trip on that lake brought me a 47" muskie that weighed 33lbs.

it almost broke my xtra heavy muskie rod in half.

if you hook that fish you're breaking your rod and your heart....

Edited by Steve

Wagoneer;

I really didn't want this thread to turn out the way it went for the initial 10 or 12 responses. I was only trying to caution you on what could possibly turn into a disaster for you and a large Muskie.

It seems that you definitely know what your talking about when it comes to the operation of your boat and equipment.

Whatever you decide, have fun and play safe.

I have and still use ugly stik catfish rods for my trolling rods on LSC they work awesome. I have them as they have a stuff back bone and a fast action rod tip this way I can horse the fish in and still see the action of my lures. So yes I agree ugly stiks are good but you need a heavier model of them. I had used 30# mono and it worked great until I broke off a couple big fish which swam away with 9" of wood and 3 5/0 hooks in it face because of my line.

Now I only use 80# or heavier braid line. I like Floro leaders 80# is great for trolling here are we done have to worry about rocks chafing them only zebra mussles or teeth.

Your boat will be fine it's what you have and are comfortable with. I have seen a guy here with a boat like that he had it in the back of his small car like a Honda civic that was cool to watch him take it out and set it up.

The rod holders I would be worried about. One tip leave your line drag on the loose side that way when you get a crazy strike you will not loose your gear or have your reel blow up. Yes they do blow apart if you have the drag to tight.

Go talk to Dennis at bass haven he has the best inline spinner baits for the lake as well as wood crank baits he is full of knowledge and will have daily updates.

You might have to make a run of 4-7 miles from the bay to get into the musky unless you fish the river Chanel's.

Like outlaw said run your baits up high and around 5mph that should get some things going. The wash rod is amazing to have hit.

Wagoneer;

I really didn't want this thread to turn out the way it went for the initial 10 or 12 responses. I was only trying to caution you on what could possibly turn into a disaster for you and a large Muskie.

It seems that you definitely know what your talking about when it comes to the operation of your boat and equipment.

Whatever you decide, have fun and play safe.

Don't worry about it, I get it. Gotta take the 'newb' flack for wanting to troll musky with medium action rods and reels.

I have and still use ugly stik catfish rods for my trolling rods on LSC they work awesome. I have them as they have a stuff back bone and a fast action rod tip this way I can horse the fish in and still see the action of my lures. So yes I agree ugly stiks are good but you need a heavier model of them. I had used 30# mono and it worked great until I broke off a couple big fish which swam away with 9" of wood and 3 5/0 hooks in it face because of my line.

Now I only use 80# or heavier braid line. I like Floro leaders 80# is great for trolling here are we done have to worry about rocks chafing them only zebra mussles or teeth.

Your boat will be fine it's what you have and are comfortable with. I have seen a guy here with a boat like that he had it in the back of his small car like a Honda civic that was cool to watch him take it out and set it up.

The rod holders I would be worried about. One tip leave your line drag on the loose side that way when you get a crazy strike you will not loose your gear or have your reel blow up. Yes they do blow apart if you have the drag to tight.

Go talk to Dennis at bass haven he has the best inline spinner baits for the lake as well as wood crank baits he is full of knowledge and will have daily updates.

You might have to make a run of 4-7 miles from the bay to get into the musky unless you fish the river Chanel's.

Like outlaw said run your baits up high and around 5mph that should get some things going. The wash rod is amazing to have hit.

Really 80lb floro? That seems really weak to me for a leader. I had 100lb in my hand the other day at the store and even that I really didn't think I would trust. I would be paranoid and have to check it over after every fish.

Haha, here I am talking like I'll catch multiple fish...

So don't bother running any of the lures close the bottom? How high is "up high"? Are we talking a foot from the surface or 4-5ft down? I like to run the split-body as the wash out lure, I find the heavy action makes them come up. But that's with pike, I assume musky are obviously very similar.

There's a cheap motel in Mitchell's bay that's attached to a dinner. Clean, bunch of bunk beds and well priced. Long ride out to deep water from Mitchell's but you probably could cut across the skinny water in your dingy. Have fun!

I was planning on just camping. My memory foam mattress in my roof-top tent is better than any cheap motel mattress I've slept in :P

I'm okay with a 30min ride out. I regularly travel from the inner bay out to bluff's bar in lake erie to troll for pike. My girlfriend doesn't like to travel too far though, she sometimes gets a bit seasick in rough waters but I don't mind it at all. I find it relaxing. I scrapped the bench seats in the boat for MUCH comfier seats so it's actually really comfortable for long trips.

Edited by Wagoneer

The eagle claw rod holders are actually insanely strong. I think my rod would snap before the rod holders gave way. I regularly check them when I'm trolling to make sure they're tight because I know the vibrations of the motor can sometimes cause the clamps to untighten themselves.

I could not watch past the first fish he dropped but judging the length of this video they have most likely poorly treated more fish.

Yes your correct don't follow this guy around unless you want to have your blood boil.

I understand that people don't know how bad it is for musky to go through battles like they put them through with light improper tackle. He looks like a good guy just wanting to have fun but come on how can anyone justify going out targeting musky with a net like that? He knows the water as he talks about LSC being one of the best places in Ontario to fish so I would hope he would understand proper tools for targeting them.

sad video. the vast majority take care of the fish. theres groups/clubs that will gladly show cpr and the results. the m.o.m.c. musky Canada... musky inc.. yes st clairs my home waters and enjoyed bye the world. hopefully the visitors will honor the fishery as us locals do.

Just back for the Hump (fished Thursday/Friday).

2 days bumbling around in a 16' pontoon with a 30hp, but was very lucky the lake was like glass Thursday and calm yesterday.

Spend most of my time in the Kawarthas so really not set for Lake St. Clair, think I was the only guy chucking 2lb lures around.

The majority of the "floatilla" (5-15 boats) at the hump appeared to be jigging their limit of wally I guess.

Noticed 2-3 boats trolling with planar boards for musky.

Went all over the lake after some time on the Hump and ended up with a small guy (38") in the net/boat/quick pic and back in the lake.

I am still very much a newbie for LSC (only been twice) but I would suggest a detailed contour map or navionic etc.

I would 100% pay attentions to posts above also, they REALLY know there stuff (Mike, Lew etc.)

I would not suggest a small boat as mine is close to minimum on the lake. Mitchel Bay to Belle River took over an hour easily and alot of gas.

BTW, I was in shock Thursday as 2-3' GAR were everywhere on the lake surface swimming beside my boat like dolphins!

Apparently locals ignore them and no one targets them (don't blame them!). Never saw one last year but looks like an explosion this year!

Bottom line.... Lake St Clair is not Buckhorn...Be very careful of weather too...

Edited by Raycaster

raycaster. yes lsc can get a nasty chop.. try marine cruiser they have a good st clair map on the net. most guys here troll. casting is becoming another under explored option ask mike p... as for gar every year we experience them on the lake at this time of year. next month will be giant sturgeon breaching like whales. lsc is an exciting adventure for everyone.

Bell River hump. All u need to kno. Probably the best place on earth for musky!

I think I might come back and fish that area another day. I don't think my girlfriend is up for an hour boat ride just to get to a fishing spot. I live less then 2hrs from LSC, I really don't know why I don't go fishing there more often. Easily a day-trip distance away.

Just back for the Hump (fished Thursday/Friday).

2 days bumbling around in a 16' pontoon with a 30hp, but was very lucky the lake was like glass Thursday and calm yesterday.

Spend most of my time in the Kawarthas so really not set for Lake St. Clair, think I was the only guy chucking 2lb lures around.

The majority of the "floatilla" (5-15 boats) at the hump appeared to be jigging their limit of wally I guess.

Noticed 2-3 boats trolling with planar boards for musky.

Went all over the lake after some time on the Hump and ended up with a small guy (38") in the net/boat/quick pic and back in the lake.

I am still very much a newbie for LSC (only been twice) but I would suggest a detailed contour map or navionic etc.

I would 100% pay attentions to posts above also, they REALLY know there stuff (Mike, Lew etc.)

I would not suggest a small boat as mine is close to minimum on the lake. Mitchel Bay to Belle River took over an hour easily and alot of gas.

BTW, I was in shock Thursday as 2-3' GAR were everywhere on the lake surface swimming beside my boat like dolphins!

Apparently locals ignore them and no one targets them (don't blame them!). Never saw one last year but looks like an explosion this year!

Bottom line.... Lake St Clair is not Buckhorn...Be very careful of weather too...

I've seen that Gar activity on Erie too. It's crazy to see in person. Hundreds of Gar breaking the surface and swinging their huge snouts out of the water. They wouldn't hit anything, so they weren't feeding. I actually hooked one but I don't think it actually struck th lure as I caught him on the outside of his mouth. That was back 5-6 years ago, neither me or my dad has ever seen it since.

But yes I always have my iphone on me with the weather radar. Like I said I'm usually on Erie where weather can turn in a matter of minutes.