Buying leeches in bulk

Tayzak15

Hey guys would any of you know of a place (preferably in Ontario) where I can order leeches by the pound online?

Not too likely.

Straight from the Regs.

Leeches

Includes those
caught and/or

purchased

-It is illegal to bring any crayfish, salamanders, live fish or leeches into

Ontario for use as bait.
Edited by Woodsman

If its personal posession, you can't have that many anymore. If you have your bait dealers licence, I will put you in contact with my supplier, he comes up your way weekly.

Dan PM me if you want info

I don't know Woody, I just started selling bait at my store here in Orangeville at christmas time. You wouldn't beleive the pains I went thru to find suppliers to buy from. I got my first lead from a forum much like this one and slowly found the suppliers that I want to use. Now I am fully stocked. (shameless plug, LOL)

Dan

Dan my point was a bait dealer should know they can't bring in leeches from out of the province.

If as a dealer they don't know the bait laws they shouldn't be in the business.

LOL I know lots of businesses who don't have a clue about the laws that govern them.

The only bait dealer Stratford had, before he retired, told me the only reason the ban was put on U.S. leeches was because the guys with licences to catch them here were PO'ed about the imports. That after they had caught the years crop and sold it the imports were available.... After hearing that I asked a guy with such a licence and he said darn right why should the U.S. sellers be able to supply us after we have caught all we can and made our money? I said I don't know so I could fish with leeches after July when the Canadian supply was all gone around here LOL.

Nope not a dealer, didn't know that law applied to leeches thought it was only minnows. How great that another useless law impacts us. There should never be an issue with keeping as many leeches as you want at long as they're going to be used.

geez.

seriously?

when I worked at the bait and tackle shop in the mid 90's, we sold a pound of leaches for under $20.

I remember when leeches and worms were about the same price.We prefered leeches as they stayed on the hook longer and caught more fish.lol.

that they sure did!

I remember when I got hired at the shop I was "hesitant" working with leeches.

that changed quickly.

they were our top selling bait!

i still think there isn't a better bait out there for catching smallies....

geez.

seriously?

when I worked at the bait and tackle shop in the mid 90's, we sold a pound of leaches for under $20.

When I started working full time I made $50 a week and that was decent money...thankfully times change :lol:

I take it you are referring to John.

When his health went downhill I was on a self serve basis with him.

Tanks were in the basement.

Yes. More than once I placed my order and was.... waiting... waiting. Thinking should I go down and see if he is OK, but he always came back eventually. Great guy to deal with.

that they sure did!

I remember when I got hired at the shop I was "hesitant" working with leeches.

that changed quickly.

they were our top selling bait!

i still think there isn't a better bait out there for catching smallies....

You haven't used live soft shelled crayfish then... But leeches are good too.

I remember when leeches and worms were about the same price.We prefered leeches as they stayed on the hook longer and caught more fish.lol.

Same here.... They were sold in a lot of places around here... But that was 20 years ago...

Man... I must be getting older now when I can actually use that line....

Their not cheap either.Buddy picked up a dozen off Jane street yesterday morning. $9 /dozen I believe

A deal at twice the price :sarcasm: where you can find them nowadays it is usually between $6-$8doz. I am $6.50 if you are heading out to Belwood or Euginia or want to fish the grand...

Dan