Bluffers salmon......anything doin?

captpierre

I went out of the bluffs on sat at noon, we fished 1200 till dusk in super choppy super cold (51-54 degree) water. We got 4 kings in the first 3 hours than nothing. Smallest 8 biggest 15lb, two on flies two on anchovie, hope this helps.

It should be pretty good by the weekend

On the south shore it sounds like there is record levels of bait. All we need is favourable winds and temps and the baitfish and kings will be around.

I wouldnt be surprised to see a 15-20 fish day when i go out sat if conditions have shaped up.

We only caught one little shaker a week an half ago; but I was marking lots of bait fish.

Actually, it was one and half if you count the fact that we re-caught the same shaker... minus the fillets :lol:

Edited by JohnBacon

Last year we had a few days that were 15-20 so i dont see why thats so funny. We fish 3-5 people in the boat with a 5-8 rod spread and generally put in at least 9-10hour per day.

Edited by Gallie

Last year we had a few days that were 15-20 so i dont see why thats so funny. We fish 3-5 people in the boat with a 5-8 rod spread and generally put in at least 9-10hour per day.

Last year isn't like this year, not even close. You forget the winter we had and how much it's delayed the fishing?

I realise that, it will definitely hurt the overall size of the fish but unless there was a die off ( which i doubt) than there should still be numbers. I will reserve judgement until i fish a day of surface water over 60 degrees and can see what kind of year it really is.

Last Sunday I went out off PC with a 2 boat group. Our boat went 1 for 2. The fish below was caught on a blue green spoon 40 down in 200 FOW on a dipsey. The lost fish was on the downrigger. The other boat did well. I think they caught 6 or 8 fish. 3 bows- 8lbs, a couple of shakers and a smaller chinook I think. I think all the bows were on Lead Core 500ft back. We spoke to a large charter boat at the dock they were out in the morning and got 4 bows.

I fished off Bronte last night 5 -930. We marked more fish and bait in shallower water but got no hits. Went out a week and a half ago off Bronte as well same results-nothing.

We checked the temps with a fish hawk probe that gives you readings every 5 ft. It said the near bottom temp was 39 and the temps closer to the surface was 51.

bowIMG_20140706_155214_zps7cc5ec3f.jpg

I dont know if you fish any other lakes for other species, but the pike, walley bass bite was literally 3 weeks late this year.

I even had some of my best fishing for pickerel ever on Canada Day which is usually a write of on Huron, I couldn't believe it.

Last year isn't like this year, not even close. You forget the winter we had and how much it's delayed the fishing?

Water temps are close to normal, but haven't been stable to concentrate fish. The winter itself doesn't have that much effect on the Salmon cycle. I'm not sure where the fish are, as it has been very slow on both north and south shores, but length of day, moon phase, temps, bait etc all contribute to the location of the fish. ( the fish aren't going to wait until November because the winter ran a few weeks later than normal. ) Edited by Bladeburner